• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

TorqStormnkw has a supercharger for Explorer 5.0 serpentine

OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Usually you need to be able to use the extra air fuel mixture that is introduced with a blower and without raising your compression ratio too high for today's low octane fuels.

usually larger, CC & better flowing heads are a must for real horse power gains but I haven't seen what they have done on their test stand & build. Cam always develops largest numbers but you are pressurizing it thru the valves so real gains are seen w/o custom blower cam. Always helps and for advertising they "always" want the biggest #'s

The better an engine breaths naturally asperated, the better it will make power with boost.
Bad airflow will make higher boost and less power. Good flow will make more power with less boost.
Boost also makes hot air, which is bad for making power.
Yes, just curious how much HP I would be giving away maintaining all ford heads and intakes once boost installed.

Are we talking 400 verse 550hp

Or 500 verse 550

Then there is the option of getting the gt40 intakes ported and getting a set of aluminum gt-40 heads that flow better than the Explorer gt-40 heads and I would maintain all Ford.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
WHHHHAAAAAAT, happy with what ya got?? :) Where's the fun in that Paul?? lol
I thought yours was always under the knife!
Well, either under the knife, or out on the trails. It’s like a light switch that is either on or on.
On in one mode, or on in the other.

For my power needs, remember that I’m running small-for-their-size 31 inch tires with 4.56 gears!
With that beautifully tight 4R70W, if I push a little harder on the gas pedal, I simply light the tires up. Especially if it’s even remotely resembling slippery conditions.
In the rain, I can be cruising along at 25 miles an hour push on the throttle and get sideways.
So yeah, for my personal needs, at least in this case, I’m good to go! 😁😎

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Yes, just curious how much HP I would be giving away maintaining all ford heads and intakes once boost installed.

Are we talking 400 verse 550hp

Or 500 verse 550

Then there is the option of getting the gt40 intakes ported and getting a set of aluminum gt-40 heads that flow better than the Explorer gt-40 heads and I would maintain all Ford.
What is your starting HP and what is your boost?
For every 7 pounds of boost gets you about 50% increase in power

OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What is your starting HP and what is your boost?
For every 7 pounds of boost gets you about 50% increase in power
I'm guessing 350hp, someone with the same engine dynoed theirs at 350hp and I copied, so 350hp to 525hp would be pretty cool.

I actually have a roller 351 with explorer gt-40p heads, headers, and a big cam with the Explorer EFI on it.

OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Where does the alternator fit in? Need pictures of the complete accessory drive before it gets exciting.
FYI, years ago Explorer Express offered a roots blower kit for the 5.0 Explorer accessory drive. Could not run with a distributor, the snout went through the distributor area. That was before we figured out how to swap in the Explorer harness and computer. So there market was limited to just Explorers.
Looks like you switch to the mustang alternator.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240327_230955_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240327_230955_Chrome.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 15

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And then, of course, there is fitting it under the hood of a Bronco. Might be plenty of room in a full size, but it’s gonna be a tight fit for anyone on this forum.
I built a 5.0 EFI engine for a '68 Bronco and fitted that with a Powerdyne supercharger (predecessor to the TroqStorm) and it wasn't a terrible fit issue.

OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And the water tank, and the pump, and the water cooler...
So those water intercooler, do you add ice water to your tank each day or the huge variationin water temp doesnt matter?

Or only put ice water in at the drag strip?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The ice water is a drag strip thing. Normal drivers have a sub-radiator in front of all other coolers in front of the radiator to get the water close to ambient. Off boost driving the pump just cools the water to ambient. Boost the water is a heat sink. Most people are only on the boost for a few seconds. Get into towing or top speed runs you can heat soak the water system. The 3.5 Ecoboost is air to air, boost pipes have to be routed up front. The air to air intercooler is generally very thick, 3-4 inches. Makes packaging issues. Most diesels are air to air, but the 6.7 powerstroke is air to water. The Z-car and the 3-cylinder Rouge (stuff I generally work on) are air to water. The 4-cylinder version of the same engine in the Rouge is air to air.

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
315 Horsepower at 2600 RPM, Twin turbo superchargers that produce at least sea level pressure to 25,000 feet. Air to air intercoolers. Don't think it'll fit.
TSIO550K.jpg

OX1

Bronco Guru
And then, of course, there is fitting it under the hood of a Bronco. Might be plenty of room in a full size, but it’s gonna be a tight fit for anyone on this forum.
Loved my supercharged Buick V6. Great powerband and pulled like a tractor from idle. But I think I’ll stick to low profile stuff in the Bronco for now and be happy with the power I have.

That was a TVS, no? Not the same animal with centrifigul. Have a Vortech on my dad's 331 fox LTD. Really does nothing off idle.

OX1

Bronco Guru
I am curious if high flow heads, new cam and intakes are a must to get real gains.

Or if gt-40 heads, upper, and lower flow enough???

Back in the day, I put a Cartech Turbo Kit on my otherwise stock 86 Capri 5.0 (crappy 86 heads and all).
10PSI, it gained the identical MPH as a 150 HP NOS kit (93-108 MPH). That was even using the 88+
"stock" mass air meter.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
That was a TVS, no? Not the same animal with centrifigul. Have a Vortech on my dad's 331 fox LTD. Really does nothing off idle.
But the new Vortech's dialed in properly can show real gains at 2,000 rpm.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Have a friend with a 408 and vortech, it is an absolute monster, in a 4x4 with 33x12.50’s easy smoke show at 65mph. In a truck to run and get parts🤣😎

Hasn’t tried to launch in 4x4, afraid of spitting out some d44 parts lol