• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 or C6

pyro fighter

Loc.
kennewick, WA
I have a 74 Bronco with a pretty much stock 302, and a c4 behind that. The c4 is crapping out on me shift slow, slams into gears, feel it slip when drivin around. My question is should i go ahead and rebuild the c4 or go out and look for a c6? the big differences between them? I'm also rolling 4.87 gears and 35s, also would like to drop a mildly built 351w in it in the next 2 years or so.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Build the C4... C6 absorbs a lot more HP than C4.

A good built C4 can be bullet proof.

Just my 2 cents.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
C4's can be built to take lots of abuse. They are good little transmissions. I am a fan of the C6. It's big and heavy and can also be built to take anything you throw at it. SC74 is correct it does eat more HP than the C4. The reason I run the C6 is because It is a bolt up to the larger 205 transfer case. The C4 wont bolt to the 205. Another reason is I have the extra power to run the C6. I am from the bigger the better school of thought. (Not always true). I would say the C6 in a bronco- there is a bit more work to getting it all set in and working correctly. My vote would be to stay with the c4 unless you are going to a big HP set up using a 205 or after-market transfer case.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I agree stay with the C4. Your mild engine, gearing and tire size should not be a issue with a c4. A good rebuild should get you back in the drivers seat. The C-6 will require many more mods(driveshaft, crossmember) or adapters.

OP
OP
pyro fighter

pyro fighter

Loc.
kennewick, WA
Thanks for the help guys, i'm stickin with the c4. Have a new one on order from TCI right now should be here sometime next week... not nearly soon enoughf, i hate the bronco just sitting there.

86caprirs

Loc.
Chestermere, Alberta
Well lets hear the downsides to a C-6 swap. I can't find a c-4 cheap but I can find C-6 with 205 attatched to them.I think it was a 80's Bronco with a 351w

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Well lets hear the downsides to a C-6 swap. I can't find a c-4 cheap but I can find C-6 with 205 attatched to them.I think it was a 80's Bronco with a 351w

If you have the c6 205 stock combo in a small block bolt pattern you have one of the steps done. Put it in it fits. Build a crossmember for the trans. build a side mount for the 205. Get new driveshafts. Run exhaust to the passenger side. make up a kick down linkage. Make up a shifter linkage. Cooler is a good idea. Also need a vacuum line. Get a JB fab twin stick. I would recommend a Hi-9 center section.

The c6 205 combo you want is the long shaft version with the 8 3/4'' extension housing. The 5 3/4'' extension version will not work in the bronco. The front C/V will hit the side of the case/ pan if you use the short one.

OP
OP
pyro fighter

pyro fighter

Loc.
kennewick, WA
Thats a lot of work for not that much more of an improvement in less you are runnin a lot of power. Ok so i'm going with TCI's C4, but now i want to get a new dana 20, or rebuilt. Is there a web site that I can get a new Dana 20 J-type t-case from, maybe with upgrades... if there are any.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Thats a lot of work for not that much more of an improvement in less you are runnin a lot of power. Ok so i'm going with TCI's C4, but now i want to get a new dana 20, or rebuilt. Is there a web site that I can get a new Dana 20 J-type t-case from, maybe with upgrades... if there are any.

Look at the vendor sites above. Most have rebuilt Dana 20s. You can also get lower low range gear kits and heavy duty rear outputs.

OP
OP
pyro fighter

pyro fighter

Loc.
kennewick, WA
Hey thanks for the info, i'm not very happy with my dana 20 t-case but maybe its becuase its old, it is a pain in the a$$ to get out of 4 low and always seems to be binding up, i have even had it come out of 2 wheel drive on the highway before. Maybe a new one will clear things up.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Lets clear this up.

You ordered a complete C4 or a rebuild kit? The Bronco C4 is bronco specific in a couple of ways, first off is the 26 spline 4x4 output shaft, then there's the pan filled thing, and a couple of internal things. I'm not sure you could easily take a garden variety C4 and bolt on the adapter and go. I think you would need to swap the output shaft, which means you need to rebuild it to swap out..

Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I understand it.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Lets clear this up.

You ordered a complete C4 or a rebuild kit? The Bronco C4 is bronco specific in a couple of ways, first off is the 26 spline 4x4 output shaft, then there's the pan filled thing, and a couple of internal things. I'm not sure you could easily take a garden variety C4 and bolt on the adapter and go. I think you would need to swap the output shaft, which means you need to rebuild it to swap out..

Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I understand it.

Bronco C4 output has the same number of splines as any C4, 28. The shaft is only different because it is shorter. It is based on the truck C4 case which is pan-filled and is stronger around the front. The input shaft is also hardened which is very rare in a case-filled C4. However you can take a case-filled C4 and swap the output shaft to make it work in a bronco.

Attachments

• Bronco 291crop.jpg
    Bronco 291crop.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
pyro fighter

pyro fighter

Loc.
kennewick, WA
I'm having a local trans shop switch out shafts for me when i get it... Or maybe i'll buy new hardend shaft and have them install that instead.