• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 shifting issues

Eastwood

About 10 years ago my Bronco wouldn't shift from 1st to 2nd when it was cold. I took it to a recommended shop and he said I needed a rebuild. I figured what the heck, just rebuild it and be done. I have zero confidence that he even rebuilt as I had multiple issues with that shop. It did shift better though. I had to let it set in storage for several years due to marriage and babies. I have been working on it the past few years to get to road worthy again. When it's first started, the transmission will go to shift from first to 2nd, but not go into second. It just slips like is in neutral. If I let off the gas and press it down again it will upshift. When I turn on a street corner, I don't think it down shifts in 1st. It will down shift all the way if come to a complete stop.
Once at operating temperature it works better. What should I look into to get it working correctly?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Before doing anything major, I would replace the vacuum module, and check the vacuum hose running to it. If that doesn’t fix it, then pull the valve body, open it up and make sure it’s not gummed up and no valves are sticking.

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
Before doing anything major, I would replace the vacuum module, and check the vacuum hose running to it. If that doesn’t fix it, then pull the valve body, open it up and make sure it’s not gummed up and no valves are sticking.
You’re right that’s a big thing valve body gummed up I had that happen wasn’t shifting right not a huge deal to deal with

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
when cold in you driveway check the fluid level running in park after you manualy shift through the gears put it in park while running pull and wipe the stick put it all the wai in and check you need to have fluid reading on the tip of the stick when cold. not to the full mark. full is when the tranny is really hot.

OP
OP
Eastwood

Eastwood

I will check the things already mentioned. I don't know if it changes things, but upon further review today I found it shifts into 2nd at about 10 mph. So smooth I didn't notice it. When cold it holds 2nd till about 30 mph, about the speed limit in the town I live in. Once warmed up, it shifts into 3rd at around 20 mph, that seems a little early. What are the usual factory shift points?

jmhend

Bronco Guru
I will check the things already mentioned. I don't know if it changes things, but upon further review today I found it shifts into 2nd at about 10 mph. So smooth I didn't notice it. When cold it holds 2nd till about 30 mph, about the speed limit in the town I live in. Once warmed up, it shifts into 3rd at around 20 mph, that seems a little early. What are the usual factory shift points?
Fluid level also has a huge impact on the shifting. Check the level cold and also hot.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
in my personal transmission I am in third just across a wide intersection unless I am in passing mode.