• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

c4 transmission selector won't shift from park

fb111ewo

Hi all! Just a quick question and hopefully not a tough one to answer. You'll have to pardon my ignorance on this, but I'm fairly new to working on Fords. My brother has a 1973 Ford Bronco with automatic transmission. I've deduced from reading other articles, that this is a C4 transmission. It's been sitting for about 15 years, and I'm helping him get it running and hopefully back on the road. His transmission shift lever on the steering column won't shift out of park, and I've told him not to force it or he might break something/do more damage etc. The vehicle is currently not running - working on the engine stuff right at this moment. but if we have to move it around - is there some way to get the transmission in neutral?? Any help, pointing in the right direction to look, etc would be greatly appreciated.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is he able to move the shifter rearward against the spring at all? Does it feel like it’s trying to but is just jammed?
If so, maybe jack up the rear wheels just to let any pressure off that is on the drivetrain.
See if that allows the shifter to move.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
By the same token, I suppose, instead of jacking up the rear wheels, you could simply rock it back-and-forth.
Maybe that would allow for some reduction in binding. If that’s what the actual problem is.
Otherwise follow the linkage down at the end of the column and see if something has become dislodged, or is in the way jamming it up.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No. Not until later.
No early bronco came with a shift interlock of any kind. Manual, or automatic transmission.

Only a mechanical lock in the shift assembly in the column. Where you pull the shift lever rearward towards the driver far enough to disengage the lock, then shift through the gears.
It doesn’t usually take much travel to disengage the lock, but maybe for some reason this one has longer travel than normal due to wear and tear on the linkage?

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
I would disconnect the linkage at the column to isolate the column from the rest of the linkage. Try moving the column shift lever and see how it feels then try shifting the rest of the linkage. Unless you have a problem at the connection you should be able to decide which side of the linkage is your problem. As mentioned you may need to rock the vehicle or better yet, jack up the rear end if you are on flat ground.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fb111ewo

So, I've disconnected the linkage from the transmission, and the problem is in the steering column. I'm assuming that there is some sort of steering collar that may be damaged? Is there a good breakdown of the steering column somewhere? Thanks again, and would appreciate any advice.

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This thread help?