• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

c4-Type F or Mercron III

NoCJ4CJ

What kind of tranny oil are you guys running in your C-4. I've got conflicting information between Type F and Mercron III.

Thanks.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
The Type F fluid has a zinc additive that helps keep your C4's internals happy and healthy.

If you'll search for explanations by Bwonco Howie (the swami of the C4), he's explained the why's a time or two.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
Mercon 5 is a synthetic, probably want to stick with Mecon 3. If you have an original tranny, then stick with type f. If you've had it rebuilt then Mecon has better hear resistance. I ran mercon on my rebuild and it worked fine.
Tom

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If it is rebuilt, ask your rebuilder what to use. A lot of the rebuild kits are updated to use mercon.

If it is all still original, then type F

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
The Type F fluid has a zinc additive that helps keep your C4's internals happy and healthy.

If you'll search for explanations by Bwonco Howie (the swami of the C4), he's explained the why's a time or two.

The swami eh...;) I dont wear a turban on my head.

I'll post those remarks again.
My choice will continue to be type F for the C-4 as long as it remains available. Dexrons, CJ types and Mercons all have friction modifiers in different different capacities. Friction modifiers change shift characteristics to a smoother application of friction materials (ie. clutches and bands). Newer formulas containing friction modifiers will cause the transmission to have softer shifts but the chemical properties are made to withstand and remain stable in more severe temperature conditions. The newer formulas designed for electronic transmissions also have the absence of Zinc. Zinc being present in ATF is vital for longer gear, bushing, and bearing life. Type F fluid cannot take the heat like the newer formulas and will require changing more often, but the original formulation still contains Zinc. I am willing to make that choice for firmer shifts and longer life of the components that have constant metal to metal contact. I can compensate for some heat breakdown with the addition of a transmission auxiliary cooler.
There is also an ATF additive that contains Zinc in the formula along with other synthetic and petroleum properties that will extend the life of the fluid as well as protect the fluid from excessive heat. I have used this stuff since day 1 on my AOD. The original transmission now has 251,000 miles on it and is still working fine in my daily driver.
http://www.lifeautomotive.com/Products/ATFP4001.asp
With the addition of a transmission auxiliary cooler you can extend the life of your fluid and other components inside the transmission.
When it comes to choosing oil for your newly rebuilt C-4, you should go with what your rebuilder's warranty recommends. That being said, the previously mentioned is strictly my humble opinion. ~BH~

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NoCJ4CJ

Thanks for the info....since you guys seems to have this down, I have a curiosity question....what is the difference between the different Mercons?

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bronco Howie,
How much of the additive do you use in the AOD? Also which atf/brand do you use for a 1991 AOD? Mercron III?

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Bronco Howie,
How much of the additive do you use in the AOD? Also which atf/brand do you use for a 1991 AOD? Mercron III?
all the major brands are pretty much meet the same specs. If i have a choice probably what ever is on sale otherwise castrol, mobil, valvoline, chevron, or shell. I use 1 bottle of smart blend (red bottle) to treat an AOD.