• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 Uh-Oh Problem-O

bronco_daddy

Loc.
Paso Robles, CA
Need some help....everything occurs when I am away..GRRRRRRRRR.
C4, working great never a problem...ever. Get a call this a.m. that the Bronco will not go into gear..ok, just rebuilt the steering column and maybe something screwwed itself up..but was working great for past week every day. Get home, grab the column shifter and it moves through P-1 no problem. Fire the truck up and put into reverse (always has a solid reverse grab) nada..through all gears nada. Put back into Park and you hear a faint grinding sound, only when puttin BACK into Park..no other positions..in Park no noise. Checked the trans oil, clean and a little low so I added 3/4 qt. Checked in Park, motor running and trans hot. No change. So back inside the cab shifting the pattern and each time into reverse or a forward gear you do get a slight decline in rpm...so its trying. I did readjust the the linkage where it comes together as the indicator was not lining up so great with the numbers and letters on the colum. Shifts fine with regard to movement, nothing hanging it up. Unknown miles and hours on trans..just find it odd it just up and stopped like this...HHHEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPPP

Vac lines are good to intake manifold also

Last edited:
OP
OP
bronco_daddy

bronco_daddy

Loc.
Paso Robles, CA
Well I am aughing now, wasn't earlier... wife says someone did it from the outside..WTF!? Sounds like Gremlins are in the Bronco trying to 4 wheel...I have never put the truck into 4wd except once...

OP
OP
bronco_daddy

bronco_daddy

Loc.
Paso Robles, CA
Of course this illicted the quarterly "just sell the damn thing." Got a small fortune in it, runs great, looks great...ummm....not happening

Edger6

Loc.
Hampton,
My mom called last winter with as problem like that, on her 97 ranger, manuel t case, she would put the truck in 12345 r let clutch out and nothing. Told her to put the transfer case in to 2wd.

joshuar6447

Loc.
spotsylvania
Don't feel to bad, i did the same thing, however mine wasn't a simple fix like that. So you got lucky. and depending on what type of T-case they can be easy to knock out.

OP
OP
bronco_daddy

bronco_daddy

Loc.
Paso Robles, CA
was a good time teaching him tonight how to drive in 4wd...unfortunately he failed to put gas in it when he came back from school and the truck ran out of fuel..he had a nice hike..I enjoyed the stars. My rule is never below 1/2 tank, especially Mr 10 MPG Bronco

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Happens to the best of us. I once thought my stock 3-speed went out giving me an excuse to pull the trigger on an NV4500 conversion kit. A couple hours later it dawned on me that I had been working on the t-case a few days prior. Still waiting for an excuse for that NV4500 kit :p

OP
OP
bronco_daddy

bronco_daddy

Loc.
Paso Robles, CA
Thanks for the pity guys, I feel pretty stupid also...never dawned on me about the t-case as he was told don't mess with it...though it is easily moved with a bump...but the empty gas tank, no bueno

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I hope my 5 year old sneaks the ol bronco out for some wheelin when he is old enough to drive

He might just learn some things while doing so