• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 wont shift into gear

BruiserOutdoors

Bought a bronco that had been sitting for some time and got it running. The motor seems to be worn out (as the Previous owner mentioned) but I'm hoping to get the transmission to function before pulling everything apart. Would like to avoid rebuilding the transmission if I can. Fat chance but still would be nice to see it function.

Transmission fluid is full, perhaps too full. I revved the motor to get the converter to fill up, sometimes more RPM can get an automatic to finally shift.

It's got a cable shifter, B&M and I manually shifted the linkage so I think that eliminates that source of error.

What else can I check before pulling it out to get rebuilt? Seems like it would still shift into gear even if it needed rebuilt. Right now I'm getting no reaction from it.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I dont think park works
There's a good chance it's your transfer case that isnt working then.

Try locking hubs and using 4wd. There are a few things that can cause the rear output to not work but the front should still work.

OP
OP
BruiserOutdoors

BruiserOutdoors

There's a good chance it's your transfer case that isnt working then.

Try locking hubs and using 4wd. There are a few things that can cause the rear output to not work but the front should still work.

Ok thanks. The front hubs are ceased however....

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Does it klunk into drive? Does it klunk into reverse? If the transfer case is in neutral you got no go.jack up the rear block the tires and see if you can turn the drive shafts by hand.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
well that's one plus.. always something w/these classics