• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Calipers sticking once brakes get hot

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I thought I had this fixed but as it turns out not.
Ford calipers and rotors with H-boost. Brakes work great but the calipers stick once the brakes get hot.

I've bled the brakes. Checked the calipers for movement and the brakes do not drag when cool. The slides on the calipers have been polished (both sides) and are well lubricated.

Short of replacing the calipers what else do I look for?

ransil

Bronco Guru
Mine needed a spacer ( 2 washers) between the hydro boost & master cylinder

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Brakes work great but the calipers stick once the brakes get hot.

Not sure I understand this...what's making them hot? The sticking calipers? I mean I knwo brakes get hot when stopping but unless you're really pounding on them they should cool down between stops due to the air flow over and around the calipers and be what I consider on the high side of warm. Of course different pads and rotor combinations will vary this...

If I had to guess, each time you apply the brakes your fluid bleed off/return is less and less due to a collapsed inner brake hose or as stated the HB needs a a spacer. If the pushrod is too long, it's not releasing the MC all the way thus more and more pressure is building up. My stock booster came with an adjustable rod....

Tim

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It isn't the calipers that are the problem. The master cylinder isn't releasing fully. The fluid isn't venting properly back into the master cylinder because the master cylinder is slightly depressed all the time.

OP
OP
phred

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
The brakes only drag if they get hot. Meaning lots of stopping in a short period of time. Intown traffic stoplight to stoplight. On the open road no problems unless repeated braking such as a curvey mountain road.
With the truck idling and the wheels off you can spin the rotors so it appears that the master is releasing (also the master and booster are matched both from an 03 superduty).
Once everything gets cool again its all good, but you can't just run down the road to cool them because once they start dragging they just keep getting hotter.

ransil

Bronco Guru
2 washers will cost you nothing, cut and make a" c" and it will take 5 minutes to try. Been there had the same issue.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2