• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cam synchronizer install

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
How to I remove and install my Explore Cam synchronizer ( if that’s what its called) I’m still waiting on my new motor. I plan on reusing the cam synchronizer. I have installed many distributors but never one of these. The new motor is a roller motor as well as the Explore I’m taking it from so the gear should be ok. I thought able putting Explore to TDC and pulling it , the putting new motor to TDC and dropping it in. But I don’t want to do that with out being able to confirm I’m on the right tooth.

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Howdy. Do you have an alignment tool? As I recall it’s pretty simple. Removal is just that and like a distributor. Installation is done at TDC on number 1. The tool aligned the sensor flag and you stab it the tool holds the flag in place so exact tooth is not critical. If you don’t have the tool it’s also not a deal breaker as this is not an encoder but more of a compression / exhaust cycle sensor. If you have fingers you can hold the flag in place and still be ok. If you don’t have the tool, let me know and I can snap some pics and text to you so you can seen how it works. This isn’t something to worry about

Hank

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You just have to make sure its on compression at TDC when you install it with the tool. Just like a distributor.

OP
OP
Tiko433

Tiko433

Contributor
Loc.
South West Florida
Thanks guys.....does the black plastic top comes off so you can see the flag inside? It’s still stabbed in my old motor , I have not removed it yet. Had to post a pic since I just renewed my membership to see if it worked

Attachments

• EA39D8B1-EAFB-4900-9584-59F00EAFC98E.jpg
    EA39D8B1-EAFB-4900-9584-59F00EAFC98E.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 36

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Thank you kindly sir.....
Then set timing just like a distributor? I feel like it’s a dumb question but just making sure. I never touched it the whole time I ran the motor.
Using the alignment tool is like setting the timing. It isn't as critical as timing on a distributor. The cam position sensor is only telling the computer which coil it can fire. The crank sensor tells it when to do it.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
...and if somehow you mess up moving it between the two engines you can go to Orielly's and they will loan/rent you a set of cam synchronizer tools that will help you install it back in the proper position. Just a back up plan for ya! :)

OP
OP
Tiko433

Tiko433

Contributor
Loc.
South West Florida
Ahhhh. thanks guys! So when I start it up do I put a T gun on it and set my timing ? Or does the ECU take over and put the timing where it’s programmed. FYI I’m having a local tuner right me a base tune. I will load it before I turn the key. He said it will be enough to break the motor and clutch in. Then it goes back to him for the final tune

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
No its not for timing adjustments ,,,, timing is not adjustable ,,its computer controlled,,Tt's used for initial start up to ID cylinder position ..also signal is used for to sync injector firing as well and to aid in the computers misfire monitor

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Make sure if there's any ID on the 2 cam synch wires, that you get them connected properly.

My Winstar donor were both black wires so no help there.