• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cam synchronizer position for 5.0 ... is the small tab...

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
is the small tab on the synchronizer face forward parallel to the centerline of the block? Asking because some Fords are positioned at 15deg or at other various settings

Here's what I'm going to do... Install camshaft synchronizer into cylinder block making sure that arrow on Syncro Positioning Tool is pointing forward parallel to center line of crankshaft. This step will locate camshaft position sensor electrical connector to the correct location...

Let me know if I'm going to drop this in wrong... I'm doing this with a 3.8 sensor in a 5.8 block for a 418 stroker... thanks!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You can point the connector anywhere you want as long as the internals are lined up with the tool when you drop it in at TDC.

Attachments

• 20150305_164646.jpg
    20150305_164646.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 77
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
That's what I understand also... I'm using a 3.8l alignment tool...that's where I'm off...I sent you a pm...

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The synchro only indicates compression stroke and the 3.8 and 5.0 are the same internally, just overall length is different as I understand. Set #1 at TDC, put the tool in and stab it where you like it.

Hank

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What everybody else has already said Brian not a super sensitive device, close enough for horse shoes or hand grenades. :)

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
cam synch

Here's what I'm questioning... multiple tools for the same engine- Hank is right, the 3.8l & 5.0l are essentially the same. I was hoping for the 5.0l to have only ONE locating tool instead of ...

...the problem with the tool pack I bought is there are 2 different tools suggested for the '98 3.8l and 3 tools suggested for the '99 3.8l. Least that's what is printed on the front of the box for application.

Both the '98 tools allow the vertical post on the shaft to rotate almost 180deg when the connector is on top of it... one CW, the other CCW. I thought they were supposed to lock the shaft post so it couldn't move so external placement didn't matter, only the alignment btw the post inside and the cap that bolts on...

I'm going to see if there's a 5.0 cam synch tool in town and see what it looks like.

thanks...

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Here's the pic of Garry's tool set. I never took mine out, but I did take the cap off and mark it.

Mark

Attachments

• Camsensors.jpg
    Camsensors.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
thanks for the pic. I have one coming for a 98 5.0 so I'm double checking that against the 3.8 because they should be the same and then I'll be good to go...

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
thanks for the pic. I have one coming for a 98 5.0 so I'm double checking that against the 3.8 because they should be the same and then I'll be good to go...

The one that you need is the one pictured in the bottom left. It will be a 99+ (single tooth, 2 wire), 98- were 3 wire and half moon.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Thanks, that what should be at the parts store in the am... the two wire one- so it's a '99+

Last edited: