• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Can heads flow too well on Explorer 5.0?

rjrobin2002

Bronco Guru
I was looking at sbf heads for a potential 302 upgrade and 347 stroker down the road.
I found heads flowing from 180 to 250 on intake, and some of the heads had great intake flow but not very well on exhaust.

Question is..... if I were to buy the better heads and put them on a stock explorer 302 with stock gt-40 Explorer efi intakes, would if cause performance issues.

Is there a reason some high performance heads restrict exhaust flow?

How much flow head can the Explorer intake handle before it's the limiting factor.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190130-110610_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190130-110610_Chrome.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20190130-110540_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190130-110540_Chrome.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20190130-110530_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190130-110530_Chrome.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20190130-110202_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190130-110202_Chrome.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 32

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, you can always have heads that flow too much for a particular application. High flow heads can hurt, particularly, torque in lower RPM range. As an anecdotal example of that effect, look how many mods have been developed over the years to reduce the size of the ports and runnners on 4v Cleveland heads for many racing applications like circle track racing. Or why I only use 2v Cleveland heads on my 408 builds..

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
bmc69 has more experience than me I'm sure. In my experience a bigger / better flowing head is not bad if you stay within a reasonable range. The cam can keep things working well. A bad cam choice is always a bad cam choice. Too big a cam you can't really live with until you grow into a bigger engine stinks. But a good flowing set of heads with a modest cam can work just fine. Then you can grow into a bigger engine with the bigger cam to take advantage of them. But if you pick a head with big flow numbers and they are soft down low they are going to lose torque for you. The GT40 based head is a rockstar on 5.0 engines looking to make power under 5k. The twisted wedge would be an example fo going too far.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Bigger valves and ports accomplish the same thing as a high lift/duration cam. I've found I get better response on a 302 with 1.94" valves rather than the 2.02" valves.
The biggest restriction on SBF heads is the exhaust ports anyway. That should be your focus on a driver.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
It's not so much about just CFM flow numbers...velocity on small cubed street engine is what you will need, especially if you want to operate in the idle to 5500 range.

If it were me, I'd run the GT40 stuff on a 347 in a Bronco.

Read up on some Tmoss articles.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
One of the last YouTube engine masters did bigger and bigger heads. In general big heads and a small cam work great.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Yes, but the important words there are big cam & small heads. Not necessarily both.

You mean big heads & small cam? I think you typed that backwards.
Because with a big cam and small heads you have a bad idle (well it can sound great) but you still don't have any flow to make any power.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
One thing missing from this discussion is a frame of reference regarding what is a big head and high flow. I focus on the Cleveland and 385 series world, where the smallest of small heads absolutely dwarfs the largest head Ford put on the 5.0/5.8w engines. So for the ole wheezers, you have to get a head from the likes of AFR before you are getting in to “too big” territory for stock or mildly built engines.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was referring to the Twisted Wedge and gt 40 x
Flow numbers above.

I think you would be giving up some bottom-end performance if you went as far as those Twisted wedge heads. Or..you'll never reap the benefits they might offer at the high end...because you are not building a 6000 RPM race engine; yr building a truck engine.

Those Edelbrock heads look good..but as others have noted, you'd be fine with the gt 40 x heads too.

I still have a couple sets of the 351w heads I built for our EB race truck. The 302s delivered 487HP peak at 7300 RPM (solid lifter engine). Those heads have 1.94/1.60 valves and a ton of port and bowl work. Those Edelbrock Performer heads would be the closest analog. I wouldn't go for anything larger for the application and state of build you are talking about. HP numbers are one thing...but bottom end matters too. The 487HP race engine I referred to had spit for low-end torque. Edit: I went and dug up the old dyno report for that 302 487HP race engine. Uncorrected HP and Torque at 3000 RPM: 156 HP and 273 ft-lbs. LOL... A build has to be carefully designed to suit the need.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Bronco Guru
Gt 40x it is then, and for what its worth, this is for a f100 street truck build I am doing another Explorer efi swap.

Or you can ship me a set of your 351 heads.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's not so much about just CFM flow numbers...velocity on small cubed street engine is what you will need, especially if you want to operate in the idle to 5500 range.

Does velocity really matter on port EFI like the OP seems to be going with? My understanding is the velocity keeps the fuel atomized as it comes from the carb, which is over a somewhat lengthy distance. With port EFI, the fuel is already nearly in the CC when sprayed, so....???

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was thinking about the ford racing aluminum heads and my 5.0 HO cam. Would that be good? I want around town fun power. Not anything super high rpms.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
You mean big heads & small cam? I think you typed that backwards.
Because with a big cam and small heads you have a bad idle (well it can sound great) but you still don't have any flow to make any power.

OOPSIE!
Thanks! Fixed.
But my point is that both cam and port/valve size will effect the power curve independent of each other. If you're heads have large valves and runners, a smooth idling cam can become lopey, just as if it had a bigger cam.