• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Can heads flow too well on Explorer 5.0?

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
Does velocity really matter on port EFI like the OP seems to be going with? My understanding is the velocity keeps the fuel atomized as it comes from the carb, which is over a somewhat lengthy distance. With port EFI, the fuel is already nearly in the CC when sprayed, so....???

Velocity matters every bit as much, especially in a street engine. Velocity is velocity be it a wet runner or a dry runner.

The real-world reports (often ostracized) because it doesn't go along with magazine builds or Mustang 1/4 mile builds, are far and few between, but you can find them.

Our old windsors don't have charge motion plates nor variable cam timing, so I'd go with fully charging the cylinders and exhausting them as-best-as possible at the lowest rpm possible.

I argued this YEARS ago on here, Tmoss ported E7's along with a stock ported intake netted the best low-end torque from 302 cubes; exactly what a Bronco needs.

While he dropped 40 hp to the rear tire, I've seen similar stories if you dig through the haystacks.

Stock E7's vs C9 heads

"Car feels exactly the same as it did before. Actually has more low end punch now with no top end loss except above 5500 rpm. Car made 300/330 to the tire before, i'm thinking it should be within 10 hp of that number with stock E7 heads which will impress the crap out of me. I literally cannot feel any difference from before. I had to jet the carb WAY down with the E7s, not sure why."

"The E7s have already surprised me. The 260 wheel was disappointing but the engine runs harder than a 300 hp engine IMO. Spins 245/45ZR17s from a second gear roll at any speed every time and has ripped the tires off into third a few times."

Why? Because of velocity. Where the extra 40hp was located, was on the top end, which is great for the 1/4 mile (balz out) or bragging on the internet, but real-world street smiles, give me the velocity.

Realistically, those stock E7's were done by 4500 but, the area below made it feel just as strong as before.

Tmoss has plenty of articles and real-world experience written on his board.

I just bought a set of Tmoss fully ported E7's that I will throw on a 408 with a cam and intake designed for maximum torque that will work with the flow of the heads.

I will be down 100hp or so compared to a Mustang build with say a set of AFR 205's, but I have no interest in shifting out at 6500 rpms. I'd rather be done by 5, but have stump-pulling, tractor-like torque, in tight converter'd, stock-geared Bronco.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That don't look like a USCG approved carb to me.

Good eye..and it's not the carb that will live on it when I get it swapped in to the Donzi 16. ;) That's the "mule" that will run it on the engine stand.

The 735 cfm marine carb that's in the Donzi now will go on it.

Attachments

• Donzi 302.jpg
    Donzi 302.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 18

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have had great success and lots of torque from the AFR 165cc CNC Heads (Great Velocity) with the 1.90/1.60 valves and a modest Comp Cam XE258HR-12 - 208/216 Duration at .050 and .533/.544 lift.

Mostly 351W and 347 builds. Lot's of low end torque and excellent throttle response with a slight Cam lope. Seems to work very well in an Early Bronco.