• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Can I assume it's ruined?

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Installing the metal heater hose piece into the aluminum intake and it started to thread in easy enough, but about halfway in it stops. I Didn't force it; just backed it out and looked at the threads. Looks like it cross threaded somehow, which makes no sense. This is 91Mustang lower intake. Can I assume this can't be tapped and cleaned up to work? I vacuumed out the port really well and into the hole where the thermostat goes. Couldn't see any metal in that hole, so I'm hoping nothing made it down inside the new head. If this is not repairable, I have the lower intake from the explorer donor, but nothing else. Upper was gone.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The explorer intake is better. I wouldn't spend the time repairing a mustang intake.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Try the tap. Why pull an intake manifold if you don't have to.
It's the curse of aluminum.
This is exactly why I don't like aluminum heads on Broncos. Header bolts are too easy to cross thread in those tight quarters.

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Try the tap. Why pull an intake manifold if you don't have to.
It's the curse of aluminum.
This is exactly why I don't like aluminum heads on Broncos. Header bolts are too easy to cross thread in those tight quarters.

That’s one big ass tap. Any clue what size it might be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
That's probably a 1/2 npt thread size. Pretty easy to chase those threads. That's assuming it is the same as the original style intakes.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Just clean up the threads Don't make the threads any deeper.
This is one of the only times I would recommend teflon tape. Use enough to build the threads up on the nipple to fit tight. But use pipe dope too over the top of the Teflon tape.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Use loctite pipe thread sealant. Or jbweld but you will need to use a propane torch to remove it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is it a stainless hose fitting? Not that I've ever seen a pipe-thread have a galling issue, but could that be the case here, with stainless and aluminum?
I've only ever had issues with stainless-on-stainless, but have heard of others.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force