• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Can I throw away any fuel system lines?

myscott22

Loc.
Klamath Falls, OR.
My 1974 EB has a can on the frame behind the right front wheel and a plastic bottle behind the drivers seat there are vents and hoses going everywhere. Can I throw away any of this stuff? Does any one have a diagram of the basic fuel lines needed or how to eliminate any of these lines? If not I need to know which lines go where. I bought a assemble manuel but it doesn't show the fuel system.
HELP PLEASE!

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I tossed the canister on the frame and the vapor bottle behind the drivers seat and removed all the lines going to and from them. I then plugged the rear tank where the lines went. I replaced my front tank, so I bought a tank that didn't have any return lines. I then bought two used fuel filler necks and modified them to be able to use vented caps. This was easier and cheaper than replacing all the pieces of the original system.

You should make sure what (if any) kind of inspection you have to pass before removing these pieces.

Frankenhorse

Loc.
Smyrna,TN
Don't toss the canister. If you don't need it for smog and don't want it, there are people on this site that need it to pass thier smog. I am sure if they find out you have one they will see if you want to sell it.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
JWMcCrary said:
I tossed the canister on the frame and the vapor bottle behind the drivers seat and removed all the lines going to and from them. I then plugged the rear tank where the lines went. I replaced my front tank, so I bought a tank that didn't have any return lines. I then bought two used fuel filler necks and modified them to be able to use vented caps. This was easier and cheaper than replacing all the pieces of the original system.

You should make sure what (if any) kind of inspection you have to pass before removing these pieces.
If I recall right either 77 or 78 are the first years required to pass deq in Oregon and that is only in 2 counties.

OP
OP
myscott22

myscott22

Loc.
Klamath Falls, OR.
JWMcCrary said:

I have no inspection problems here in Oregon.
Will my filler necks work? What do you have to modifie to use vented caps?

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
myscott22 said:
Will my filler necks work? What do you have to modifie to use vented caps?

The filler necks you have now will not accept vented caps, or at least any I could find. I bought what I thought were some used filler necks for an older Bronco that used vented caps only to have them arrive and be the same as what I already had. I took a dremel tool and shorted the lip that the fuel caps twists on and they seem to work fine. I did this with them off the EB, I don't think I would try and do it with the filler necks still attached. I can't remember the part number for the caps, They are Stant, do a search and you should find them, that's how I found the part number.

OP
OP
myscott22

myscott22

Loc.
Klamath Falls, OR.
JWMcCrary said:
The filler necks you have now will not accept vented caps, or at least any I could find. I bought what I thought were some used filler necks for an older Bronco that used vented caps only to have them arrive and be the same as what I already had. I took a dremel tool and shorted the lip that the fuel caps twists on and they seem to work fine. I did this with them off the EB, I don't think I would try and do it with the filler necks still attached. I can't remember the part number for the caps, They are Stant, do a search and you should find them, that's how I found the part number.

Thanks JWMcCary for the help, I think I have the picture now. I will take a filler neck to the parts store to check on some vented caps.
Scott