• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Can someone explain this 5.0 EFI coil to me?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I pulled this coil off of a '93 Mustang GT at the junkyard. The upper intake, distributor, and plug wires were already gone, so I don't have any other parts to compare it to.

Notice the male part where the coil wire connects. It is flat and looks nothing like the round ones I have generally seen on late model coils and distributor caps.

Is this broken? Aftermarket? Is it something I can use?

Just curious as there are other coils at the junkyard to be had. I was just wondering what I ended up with here.

l.jpg

OP
OP
thegreatjustino

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I'm not talking about the large connection in the back. I'm talking about the male connection for the coil wire. Look at the one in the picture above and compare it to this one. This one has a male connector just like the distributor cap. The one above does not. It has a flat metal pin sticking out of the black part whereas this one, and all the others I have seen are round like the distributor cap connections. Is the one above broken or what? That is what I am trying to figure out.

l.jpg

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Looks stock and broken.
Looks like the terminal broke off where the wire should snap on
It is a standard EEC coil. Used on almost every mid 80's through mid 90's car and truck Ford sold. Good coil, I have pulled them out of a junkyard and used them without worry many times.
I like the Ranger/BroncoII 2.9 V6 due to the mounting bracket. The coils are interchangabe between brackets as well.

OP
OP
thegreatjustino

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Sorry but your first picture looks the same from the top. If it's different I don't know what it is.

Look at the two pictures where the coil wire connects. The picture in my first post is not round, it's not very wide, and it certainly doesn't have the little shoulder on it like the other picture I posted. The little metal part where the coil wire attaches looks completely different between the two pictures.