• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cannot Delete Full Size Pic After Clicking on Thumbnail - Windows 7

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi,

I have been migrating to a new computer running Windows 7 (64-bit) and I am having a strange problem after I click on a picture thumbnail in any thread (to expand it).

Instead of showing the picture right at th spot of that post, it is shown at the top of the thread. When I click on the X in the upper right hand corner, the picture will not go away. The only way to get rid of it is to use the back button.

I am using Internet Explorer 8 if it makes any difference.

I have 3 other computers running either Vista or XP that don't have this problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jeff

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I'm not really invisioning what you're saying. Could you maybe take a screen shot of the stuck picture and post it?

When you click on a thumbnail it should popup a larger version of that pic centered on the screen. Then you can click anywhere outside the image (or the X in the upper right corner) to close it. Is your screen really small like a tablet or netbook? Maybe the full size pic popup is taking up your whole screen?

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Screenshot

Hi Jon,

I'm not really invisioning what you're saying. Could you maybe take a screen shot of the stuck picture and post it?

When you click on a thumbnail it should popup a larger version of that pic centered on the screen. Then you can click anywhere outside the image (or the X in the upper right corner) to close it. Is your screen really small like a tablet or netbook? Maybe the full size pic popup is taking up your whole screen?

Thanks for the reply.

No, I am on a 23" or 24" monitor. I use several systems running other operating systems, and none does this.

I have attached a screenshot showing where any pic is placed when I click on it to expand it.

The pictures always end up in the upper left hand corner.

Once it lands at that position, neither clicking on the X, or anything outside the picture causes it to do anything. The only way I can get rid of it is to click the back button for Explorer and open that thread again.

It's not a huge deal; but, it is annoying.

Thanks for looking into it.

Jeff

Attachments

• Screen Capture of Picture Expanded Picture 013112.jpg
    Screen Capture of Picture Expanded Picture 013112.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey,

You want to know what is funny...

I opened the pic I just posted, and I was able to close it just by clicking outside the picture.

I switched thread to another thread (something like tool of the day), opened a pic, and could not close it either by clicking on the X or outside the picture.

Not really sure it's worth taking a lot of your time, or mine. I was just hoping someone else might have seen this and found a solution.

Thanks

Jeff

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
That is odd. The pic should be centered for one thing. The screen shot below is from IE 8 on a Windows 7 64 bit system.
Image1.jpg

Another thing I notice on your screen shot is that there's an "error on the page" (notice in the bottom left corner of the browser)

Could you check an image that you are able to close out of and see if that page also shows an error?

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
More Peculiar

Hi Jon,

That is odd. The pic should be centered for one thing. The screen shot below is from IE 8 on a Windows 7 64 bit system.

Another thing I notice on your screen shot is that there's an "error on the page" (notice in the bottom left corner of the browser)

Could you check an image that you are able to close out of and see if that page also shows an error?

I am attaching a screen shot of the error message that I received when I opened a pic in Tool of the Day. I needed to use the back button to get out of it.

What is really strange.... when I went to open the pic I attached last night to look for an error message. I had the same error message in the lower left corner. This time, however, I could not close out of enlarged picture by clicking outside the pic or on its X. I had closed out of the forum in between last night and this morning ... for whatever that is worth.

Please don't spend a lot of time on this. I would like to make it right; but, it's definitely not a priority.

Thanks

Jeff

Attachments

• ClassicBroncos Forum Error Message Screen Capture 020112.JPG
    ClassicBroncos Forum Error Message Screen Capture 020112.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Jon,

I attached the image to the last message, saved the message and then re-opened it.

I have the same problem with this attachment as all others that are giving me issues.

Thanks Again

Jeff

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Error - Attempting to Us Edit / Go Advanced

Hi Jon,

While we're chatting about this, I thought I would mention one other problem that has come up since I switched to this new computer.

When I attempt to edit a post, I get a box with the text of the original post, with some buttons underneath to the right. To make changes previously, I would just click the "Go Advanced" button and a more complex set of options for editing would open up. Now when I click Go Advanced, nothing happens, other than the error message indication that appears in the lower left corner of the IE window.

I have attached a screen shot of the error message I receive for this problem.

With this problem, however, I can click the Cancel button on the edit screen and go back to the thread.

If I log onto the forum from a different computer (running either Vista or XP) I can edit the post without any problem.

Again, this isn't a major problem... just an annoyance.

Thanks

Jeff

Attachments

• Screen Capture of Go Advanced Error Message 020112.JPG
    Screen Capture of Go Advanced Error Message 020112.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Jon,

One last bit of playing around. I unchecked disable script debugging in IE options.

When I clicked on a pic again, I got a message box stating "Webpage Error'. The error was on line 11, and that the error was: 'client width' is null or not an object.

I'm not really sure what makes this a problem in Win 7 (or at least with this new setup), and not with the older systems.

Thanks again for your help.

Jeff

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Jon,

I'm not sure whether something on your site changed, or something on my system changed. Regardless, now when I click on a thumbnail the picture opens up, and I can then click on the X on the picture (or click anywhere outside the picture) and it goes away.

One less little annoying bug! (I just hope this wasn't some sort of anomoly.)

Jeff

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Crazy Stuff....

And today it is back to not responding (and displaying the error message).

I would blame it on booze clouding my senses... but, I don't drink.

Did anything on the forum change last night, or today?

Weird

Jeff

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
try browser Mozilla Firefox and see if it works instead of Explorer. are you on other forums where everything works like it should?

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi,

Thanks for the comment.

This problem does occur on other websites.

If I right-click on the thumbnail I can open in another window. I really don't care to experiment with other browsers... unless other problems become evident. If it bugs me too much, I will give that a try in the future.

Thanks

Jeff

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Jon,

Not that this is worth spending a lot of time troubleshooting....

I did just discover something that may help get a little closer to a solution.

First, I have tried opening up thumbnail views on other forums. The ones that use the thumbnails with the posts have the same problems.

Now for a little good news... I discovered that if I used "InPrivate" browsing I could click on the thumbnails, and they would close normally.

I just don't know what InPrivate does differently. I will continue to explore... although it would be great if someone else might have an answer.

Thanks

Jeff

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi,

One more thought.

The only times the picture will open and close correctly are when I log onto ClassicBroncos forum from within a new InPrivate session. (If I am already logged onto CB on another IE window, I cannot close the pictures correctly. All instances of CB must be closed, and then I must log on.) At least that appears to be the case.

I had better get to work to pay some bills. I will play with this more later.

(There is some connection between using an InPrivate session and the website that are causing problems.)

Thanks

Jeff