• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Just cannot get excited

OP
OP
Broncmeister

Broncmeister

Not sure about all of them, but the new exciter wire should be in RUN only at some point.
Not that it won't work the way you have it, but any time you're sitting there with the key in ACC listening to the radio or whatever, your alternator is juicing up too.

I don't think it will automatically hurt the alternator, and may only use a tiny bit of extra battery juice, but one of the others with more knowledge in that department can say for sure.
But Ford used a position that was hot in RUN only. You should be able to see it right there on the back/side of the ignition switch in fact. It might even still run out to the right side of the engine compartment where the old voltage regulator was/is.

Paul
Ah you are correct, I looked up the wiring diagram and see which post i need to go to on the switch now. Thanks :)