• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Can't get NP205 to fit

extramedium9

Loc.
Long Island, NY
Hey all,

I am installing a NP205 out of a 78 Bronco behind a 5.0/4R70W from a 2001 Mountaineer. The problem is this: I can't mate the 205 to the tranny because it will hit the frame rail on the drivers side. I know people have already done this, so what's the problem?

I am want to clock it in the "lowest" position. It looks as though I would have to push the back of the tranny over about 1.5-2 inches to the passenger side for it to fit between the drive side frame rail, but it seems like I can only move it ~1/2 inch, probably limited by the engine mounts (NEW from JBG).

On a related note, is the engine/tranny supposed to be more toward the passenger side? Because the smaller engine tower on the passenger side seems to indicate this.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Yes, the engine is offset to the passenger side by a couple inches.
Try loosening the motor mounts on the frame and twisting the transmission toward the passenger side to gain room. Amazing how a fraction of an inch at the mounts makes a huge difference all the way back at the transfer case.

crawln68

Bronco Guru
X2 on loosenign the motor mounts to shift the t-case to the passenger side. It will fit! ;D Here is a picture of mine as I was mocking it all up. I clocked my 205 up a good 2-3 inches for ground clearance.

Attachments

• 435_203_205_2.JPG
    435_203_205_2.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 125
OP
OP
E

extramedium9

Loc.
Long Island, NY
Broncobowsher,

There are no nuts on the motor mount bolts that tighten it to the frame, so it has the maximum play. I already tried twisting the transmission to the passenger side and only gained ~1/2 inch or less, because the motor mount "bolt" that goes through the engine mount tower hits the tower (if that made any sense), the hole in the tower for the motor mount bolt isn't much larger than the bolt so it "bottoms out" quickly while twisting.

What I find strange is that if the engine IS offset to the passengers side, which you confirmed for me, the end of the transmission is offset toward the drivers side!

I took some measurements:
Distance between inside of frame rails at the end of the extension housing = 23 inches.
Distance of center of tranny output shaft to inside drivers side rail = 11 iches.

I have been wondering about the new engine mounts. They appeared to be identical, but asymetrical themselves. The bolt was not centered with respect to the holes that bolt to the block. I called JBG and they said they are correct and they are supposed to be identical.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
It fits. I have a picture of it in my gallery.

Bax

crawln68

Bronco Guru
I don't know what motor mounts you are using, but mine have a front and a back to them. The two motor mounts are identical to each other, but you can install them back wards. In other words, there is a right and left mount and need to be installed on the correct side of the engine. Might want to check yours.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Also try loosening the bolts holding the mounts to the block. There is some give there also.

OP
OP
E

extramedium9

Loc.
Long Island, NY
Thanks guys! I got it to fit.

I loosened the bolts that hold the engine mount to the block like Broncobowsher suggested and used a bottlejack to push it to the passenger side (I still couldn't budge it by hand), I then bolted the 205 up and released the bottlejack. It's now resting on jacks stands.

Now I just have to fab up a crossmember for the tranny and one for the side mount of the 205.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
crawln68 said:
Sweet! Now lets see some pics! ;D
X2, I wanna see pics...

xmed9, Are you running a bodylift?

I'm in the process of fabbing up some xmember mounts for my 203/205 and with 1" bodylift I may still have to notch the tub on the driver floor. I know crawln did it to his........

Attachments

• DSC00339.JPG
    DSC00339.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC00344.JPG
    DSC00344.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 49

OX1

Bronco Guru
Madgyver said:
X2, I wanna see pics...

I'm in the process of fabbing up some xmember mounts for my 203/205 and with 1" bodylift I may still have to notch the tub on the driver floor. I know crawln did it to his........

I see you still have full length headers. Keeping them and have you figured out a decent exhaust routing yet??

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Madgyver said:
X2, I wanna see pics...

The only reason that I had to notch my floor pan is because I clocked my 205 up 2-3 inches. If you don't do that, you shouldn't have to notch it. Although I have a 2 inch body lift, with your 1 inch, it might be tight but I bet it will fit.

OP
OP
E

extramedium9

Loc.
Long Island, NY
Here's some pics.

The pic from the rear shows a notch I had to grind out of the extension housing for the shift rail to fit. I made a template from the C6 extension housing to make it easy.

The pic from the side shows the approximate height where I plan on mounting the 205 above the frame. I plan on doing it similiar to what Bax did with his.

The other pic shows everything together.

Attachments

• 12262006.jpg
    12262006.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Picture 052.jpg
    Picture 052.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Picture 054.jpg
    Picture 054.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 46

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Looks good! I see something else that might be contributing to your problem of the 205 not fitting. I would bet that the yellow strap that's holding up your C6 is squishing the frame rails in a little bit. I bet once you release that strap, your frame rails will return out to their normal position, giving you some more clearance on the drivers side of the 205. ;D

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
OX1 said:
I see you still have full length headers. Keeping them and have you figured out a decent exhaust routing yet??
OX1,
What you see in the pic was just a mock up as I was trying to clock the adaptors before welding to see how it would fit at different positions. That motor in the pic is dead. Also at the same time checking the overall length of the NP435/203/205. It is much easier to do with an open frame....