• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carb spacers..what kind?

Yellow76

I need to use a spacer and I am running a Performer RPM manifold, dual plane. I am gonna try the Holley T/A, 670, and see how it works. I talked to Edlebrock and they said either the 4 hole spacer or the divided spacer. Then there is the choice of the wood laminate or the plastic type. Anyone running a spacer that can give some advice?? Thanks

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i've run phenilic (plastic) spacers many times in the past, they do make a difference. i always ran the open style.

i've been told that the wooden spacers dissopate heat better, but i've never run one.

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
Run the 4 hole one, either the plastic or wood. If you run the open you usually have to crank over the engine several times to build up enough vacc so the primary idle curcuit can work. A buddy of mine was using an open when we put the motor in and I told him to replace it..well after about a month of cussing saying it was the new Street Avenger carb, we put a 4 hole spacer and bingo, it starts on the 2nd or 3rd revolution of the engine...

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Why do you need a carb spacer? you shouldnt need one. I like the 4 hole type myself but the open ones work as well I have a single plane manifold on mine a it fires right upon no couple of cranks needed as other post implied. that has more to do with timing than vacuum build up. I do run a 4 hole thick (1/4") carb gasket though helps stop the heat transfer.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The racers love the wood ones, but I have heard of long term durability issues with fuel getting into the wood and breaking it down. Not a problem for the weekend racer but not something to try on a daily driver.

Metal is the worst, sucks the heat right into the carb. But will last forever.

Plastic is a better insulator then metal and lasts too. So plastic is the best choice of materials. Plastic is sometime phenolic (fibers and reson) or just a straight plastic. I prefer the phenolic.

Open spacers (single hole) match up with open plenum race intakes. This increases plenum volume. Helps with top end performance.

4 hole spacers add runner length to the intake, which helps low end.

With the above information, the best spacer to use in 95% of street and trail applications is a 4 hole plastic spacer.

DAS72

Loc.
Albany Or.
I have experiance as I'm running a wood spacer and have been for 10yrs know with no dedregration to the wood. I was running an alum spacer and having carb boil problems,
went to a wood spacer and have not had a problem after the change. 10 years and it still running great. with a dual plane manifold I bought the two hole spacer and have never had a problem altho the 4 hole might just work fine.
I even live in the wet north west and drove daily for 7 yrs without a problem. Now carbs on the other hand, thats a diffrent story.

KJHill

Contributor
Loc.
Central WA
I'm just getting ready to put my 670 TA on this weekend & the parts guy sold me the 3 piece aluminum with gasgets in-between each. Will this do a decent job? It's a Mr. Gasget Heat Dissipator, part #98. Any thoughts?