• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carb to Mustang EFI questions

Hinmaton

Actually thinking about switching from FiTech to MAF EFI, but anyways-
I’m not having much luck find threads that discuss this process. Plenty of swapping motors, swapping to TBI, swapping from EFI to carbs, but not converting from a carb to MAF EFI. It seems like it’s an old subject that may have been beat to death, but I’m hoping some folks will be able to drag some of those old threads up again.

I think I have everything I need to do the swap, but I want to make sure.
I’m also hoping that someone can answer this question:
Can you upgrade the heads and cam on a MAF EFI system without having to do some type of mad trickery with the EEC (I have an A9P and an 8LD) will be running manual either way.

Thanks

Hinmaton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
How about you list what you have EFI wise...
What fuel system will you be running, internal/external pump.
Explorer upper and lower plenums flow better than stock Mustang ones.

In reality, when you start talking about better heads/cam/larger injectors/larger TB and MAF you are probably talking about a custom tune to get the most out of your changes.

OP
OP
Hinmaton

Hinmaton

I have:
Full Intake from 01 Explorer
RJM Harness refurbished by Ron Francis
MSD distributor NEW
MSD coil NEW
1” spacer for intake
EGR block off plate
Fel pro gasket for intake
19lb and 24lb injectors
65 mm throttle body
All sensors
Cobra Mass flow housing and sensor
92 mustang fuel rail
Aeromotive pressure Gauge
Aeromotive Regulator
Speedo cable and VSS
A9P and 8LD computers
Sealed Cast AL valve covers
Manual lift pump to GSurge tank, currently running my FiTech.
Duff shorty headers w/ dual O2 sensors and 2-1 exhaust.
‘95 5.0 Roller / NP435 / Dana 20 / 5.13 gears
Looking at AFR 185 heads and a FRPP E303 cam.

850324455d4f4128572ba089dafc5a93.jpg
e36be3f7e70499723f41e89cb51555d2.jpg
8f0cb31a3752558a4f696114b4d28701.jpg
327bcb94c571d7f2620a02324b748abd.jpg
5b9c6e9fd380ef280f66e42330c2428d.jpg
66b5bf6705d370e40bb56be593fbf330.jpg
7f8f65b8c389733b612f792290b9abb5.jpg
911fcb54ea5898bfcc5e95a0f961637e.jpg
15df658a54a40c43752709ead0ae180b.jpg
6212bb028fdfc57a4919d229d58f3c7c.jpg
59f8e665827d3e9df21882d8260aae13.jpg

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Your mass air meter and injectors have to match. I dont recall if the computer has to also, would have to look that up. I put a Mustang system on mine two summers ago. No reprogramming used, but runs rich at idle, and will stall when cold until it warms up. I have a pretty healthy cam. I'm sure a tune would help it alot, but I'm not bothered enough by it to change it. It's so much better than the carb setup I was previously running. I have all kinds of documents, and the old ford fuel injection website saved on my hard drive

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hinmaton

Hinmaton

Your mass air meter and injectors have to match. I dont recall if the computer has to also, would have to look that up. I put a Mustang system on mine two summers ago. No reprogramming used, but runs rich at idle, and will stall when cold until it warms up. I have a pretty healthy cam. I'm sure a tune would help it alot, but I'm not bothered enough by it to change it. It's so much better than the carb setup I was previously running. I have all kinds of documents, and the old ford fuel injection website saved on my hard drive

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I believe the Mass Air is the Cobra one, so that would be the big injectors.
Old Ford Fuel Injection website? Tell me more.
What year motor and what EEC? Are you running the HO firing order?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hinmaton

Hinmaton

Wow! Now that’s what I’m talking about. It’s dated, but no one does articles like this anymore.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Those white injectors are 17# not 19#, don't use those. The blues are 24#. The 24's can be used with the Cobra MAF, but also require the Cobra computer (X3Z). Or, use them with one of your current computers with a chip to program it correctly. Despite what you may read on the net, don't buy a "calibrated MAF".

Everything else you have listed should work fine, but I wouldn't recommend an E303 cam in a Bronco.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Those white injectors are 17# not 19#, don't use those. The blues are 24#. The 24's can be used with the Cobra MAF, but also require the Cobra computer (X3Z). Or, use them with one of your current computers with a chip to program it correctly. Despite what you may read on the net, don't buy a "calibrated MAF".

Everything else you have listed should work fine, but I wouldn't recommend an E303 cam in a Bronco.

Good eye on the injectors Garry.
Having run an E303 cam in a fox body, I wouldn't recommend it in a bronco either. Comp cams offers better choices than the old alphabet cams.;)

Explorer lower intake will need to be drilled and tapped for air temp sensor.

I ran an aftermarket 70mm TB and had drive ability issues because the return spring on the shaft was really stiff, ended up going to an Explorer 65mm TB and changing the swing arm. Just an FYI...

PaveBronco

From the pics I cant see the ACT sensor blank that we drill and tap, did it go away after a specific year? if so where would he put it?

or is it just my old eyes

OP
OP
Hinmaton

Hinmaton

This is exactly the information I was hoping for thanks. So i'm looking for an X3Z EEC or a chip for what I have, which would you recommend? maybe I just answered my own question, I just read this in the inject your horse article:

The X3Z was first used in the 93 Cobra, and is programmed for 24lb/hr injectors and a special 70mm Mass Air Flow sensor. It
might sound cool, but it’s actually slower than all the other 89-93 Mustang computers. There are delay timers programmed in
that slow throttle responsiveness, and top speed limiters. A used X3Z usually sells for $100-$150 and typically requires a
custom programmable chip sooner than the other 89-93 Mustang computers. All this adds up for a less than optimal computer
to purchase. However, there is a $550 kit available that includes new MAF sensor, X3Z computer, and 24lb/hr injectors; which
is an acceptable price for new components. (Ford Racing part number M-9000-C52.)

I see lots of recent comments regarding the cam, nuff said- what do you all recommend? I'm looking for a cam that has some lope (Other than the EFI itself, I'm not using the vacuum for much). This Bronco spends most of it's time off road in Low Range, 1,500rpm to 3,500rpm 90% of the time.
I was looking at the Crane TruckMax cam or the CompCam XE258HR or similar. What I liked about the alphabet cams was the decent amount of overlap without huge amounts of lift.
Certainly open to suggestions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hinmaton

Hinmaton

Good eye on the injectors Garry.
Having run an E303 cam in a fox body, I wouldn't recommend it in a bronco either. Comp cams offers better choices than the old alphabet cams.;)

Explorer lower intake will need to be drilled and tapped for air temp sensor.

I ran an aftermarket 70mm TB and had drive ability issues because the return spring on the shaft was really stiff, ended up going to an Explorer 65mm TB and changing the swing arm. Just an FYI...

From the pics I cant see the ACT sensor blank that we drill and tap, did it go away after a specific year? if so where would he put it?
or is it just my old eyes

So... where do I put the ACT? Happy to tap a hole, looks like a 1/2"NPT thread. But where is it supposed to go?

Hinmaton

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
So... where do I put the ACT? Happy to tap a hole, looks like a 1/2"NPT thread. But where is it supposed to go?

Hinmaton

You can install it in the cold air intake, between the MAF and the throttle body. That’s where they were located on early 5.0 Explorer’s.

Mark

OP
OP
Hinmaton

Hinmaton

You can install it in the cold air intake, between the MAF and the throttle body. That’s where they were located on early 5.0 Explorer’s.

Mark

I can do that. Great!

OP
OP
Hinmaton

Hinmaton

So... I’m getting the sense that it’s okay to upgrade the heads and cam with Mustang EFI?
True?
Can you go as far as stroking the motor?

Hinmaton

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
So... I’m getting the sense that it’s okay to upgrade the heads and cam with Mustang EFI?
True?
Can you go as far as stroking the motor?

Hinmaton

It's all about the tune......Tell EFIGuy what you got or are going to get and he can burn the tune....

I upgraded heads and cam.....running 94-95 Stang EFI on my W

Tim