• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carb to Mustang EFI questions

OP
OP
Hinmaton

Hinmaton

It's all about the tune......Tell EFIGuy what you got or are going to get and he can burn the tune....

I upgraded heads and cam.....running 94-95 Stang EFI on my W

Tim

Thanks- so... what cam would you suggest for a trail rig?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
If you want, I have other documents saved that describe the pinout of each connector for the Mustang wire harness, as well as some wiring diagrams.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hinmaton

Hinmaton

If you want, I have other documents saved that describe the pinout of each connector for the Mustang wire harness, as well as some wiring diagrams.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I don’t see why not.

OP
OP
Hinmaton

Hinmaton

Alright-
I just verified that I have no ACT port on my manifold, but I do have two ECT ports (not sure why?).
I verified that the RJM harness accepts the 24 lb injectors but not the smaller ones.
And lastly I noticed a large port at the back of the lower intake that I am unsure about.
Any ideas?
976ce8214af239662a2819fd47da9119.jpg

I also looked at the wall thickness of the #5 intake runner and am not so sure about drilling and tapping it. Maybe if I weld a bung on...

What is a good lower intake to source? Am I better sourcing a set?

Thanks

Hh

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
ECT port is in teh cooling tubes, Temp gauge port is in Drivers side front coolant cross over.
Large rear port is for PCV, metal screen drops in, followed by rubber grommet (Ford-best fit or Dorman help line-not the best fit) and finally PCV valve pushes into the center of the grommet.
ACT port on the mustangs was a on #5 lower runner, a boss on the manifold that was threaded. The earlier Explorer manifold castings may have had a boss, (thicker material) to thread on in. It was suggested in an earlier post that you could relocated the ACT to the inlet tube like the explorer does, it is much smaller that the Mustang one, pushes into the rubber tube.

OP
OP
Hinmaton

Hinmaton

ECT port is in teh cooling tubes, Temp gauge port is in Drivers side front coolant cross over.
Large rear port is for PCV, metal screen drops in, followed by rubber grommet (Ford-best fit or Dorman help line-not the best fit) and finally PCV valve pushes into the center of the grommet.
ACT port on the mustangs was a on #5 lower runner, a boss on the manifold that was threaded. The earlier Explorer manifold castings may have had a boss, (thicker material) to thread on in. It was suggested in an earlier post that you could relocated the ACT to the inlet tube like the explorer does, it is much smaller that the Mustang one, pushes into the rubber tube.

Thanks that helps.
I was reading from multiple sources that the ACT wants to be as close to the combustion chamber as possible. I’m also assuming that there wiring harness is going to have the connector close to runner 5.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Thanks that helps.
I was reading from multiple sources that the ACT wants to be as close to the combustion chamber as possible. I’m also assuming that there wiring harness is going to have the connector close to runner 5.

Maybe on OBDI it needs to be near combustion chamber??? On the Explorer, which is OBDII, it is nowhere near it.
ACT harness would have it close to #5

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
The ACT was placed in the intake near runner #5 on the OBDI Mustang based EFI. It’s really not too critical it turns out, when adapting this system to an Early Bronco. As simple as it is to adapt the harness, you could actually get away wth Zip-Tying that sensor anywhere under the hood. In the air box or cold air intake is perfectly acceptable.

Mark

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Thanks- so... what cam would you suggest for a trail rig?

I can't say as I'm a street ponder but the Nor Cal Bronco guys have a cam they call the "stump puller". As I recall it's a Comp magnum line and makes power 1500-5200 ?? I remember looking at it back a couple years ago. I went with a very similar to it....don't recall why I didn't go with it.

I went with the below...the stock explorer cam is good in a Bronco.....
Comp 35-349-8/XE264HR
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 264/270
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 212/218
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .512/.512
LSA/ICL:114/110
RPM Range: 1,500-5,500

Cam choice is like picking a mate....the one you pick you think is the best and better than everyone else's ;D

Tim

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
The ACT was placed in the intake near runner #5 on the OBDI Mustang based EFI. It’s really not too critical it turns out, when adapting this system to an Early Bronco. As simple as it is to adapt the harness, you could actually get away wth Zip-Tying that sensor anywhere under the hood. In the air box or cold air intake is perfectly acceptable.

Mark

The Marine (cast iron) GT40 351W intake I run has it in the #5.....I used an explorer intake hose and yes the ACT is there and I left it...used it as a plug cause the intake had it in #5 and I'm running Stang OBDI

Tim

OP
OP
Hinmaton

Hinmaton

Stump puller, I like the sounds of that!

Good to know on the ACT, that helps a lot. I was just reading about ACT heat soaking and moving it away from the manifold, so I guess they figured that out by the Explorer.

Hinmaton

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So your intake does not have that boss for the sensor? The two Explorer intakes I installed already had the boss and we just had to drill and tap it. Right there where everyone is talking, near where the #5 runner starts to transition into the center vertical section.

Paul

stretch

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
One more item, be careful installing the intake spacer. I broke two upper intakes trying to use that spacer. Snapped the front bolt tabs on each one while torquing the bolts. Finally learned my lesson and trashed the spacer on the third intake.

OP
OP
Hinmaton

Hinmaton

So your intake does not have that boss for the sensor? The two Explorer intakes I installed already had the boss and we just had to drill and tap it. Right there where everyone is talking, near where the #5 runner starts to transition into the center vertical section.

Paul
The explorer intake I have is the non-egr version, which apparently does not have a boss of any kind on runner #5. I have a weld on 3/8 npt boss for it, but if I can get away with moving the ACT further away, I'm going to.

One more item, be careful installing the intake spacer. I broke two upper intakes trying to use that spacer. Snapped the front bolt tabs on each one while torquing the bolts. Finally learned my lesson and trashed the spacer on the third intake.
Interesting, is this due to the spacer being plastic or phenolic or whatever? from squishing a bit throwing the torque off? thanks for the heads up. Do I really need the additional 3/4" of runner length? can I space out the throttle body and achieve the same result?

Hinmaton

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
All Explorers had EGR...
96 was internally fed exhaust gases like Mustangs were.
97-01 were externally fed from the Pass exhaust manifold

OP
OP
Hinmaton

Hinmaton

Based on my searches, it doesn’t look like there aren’t many if any available X3Z EEC’s on the market.
So that leaves me with chipping the EEC’s I have? Can a 8LD be turned into a version of the X3Z? Or go with the QuarterHorse tuner?

OP
OP
Hinmaton

Hinmaton

All Explorers had EGR...
96 was internally fed exhaust gases like Mustangs were.
97-01 were externally fed from the Pass exhaust manifold

Oh, that makes good sense. So the EGR plate was fed externally. Cool.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Based on my searches, it doesn’t look like there aren’t many if any available X3Z EEC’s on the market.
So that leaves me with chipping the EEC’s I have? Can a 8LD be turned into a version of the X3Z? Or go with the QuarterHorse tuner?

The X3Z isn't ALL THAT.....It has it's pro's and cons....Lots of info on the Stang sites. Just cause it says Cobra don't mean it's better than everything else. Not many of them around because of limited production.

I think your 8LD is an 1988 Cali mass air Mustang manual trans......Have Garry pop it open, check the capacitors, replace as needed and burn you a chip based on your parts......You should be good to go.

I've considered buying the QuarterHorse tuner but then you need to understand EFI tables and all the ins and outs of the Ford ECM's. I just don;t have time to do it and far as I know, Garry don't have his brain on disc fr me to download like in the Matrix

Tim

OP
OP
Hinmaton

Hinmaton

The X3Z isn't ALL THAT.....It has it's pro's and cons....Lots of info on the Stang sites. Just cause it says Cobra don't mean it's better than everything else. Not many of them around because of limited production.

I think your 8LD is an 1988 Cali mass air Mustang manual trans......Have Garry pop it open, check the capacitors, replace as needed and burn you a chip based on your parts......You should be good to go.

I've considered buying the QuarterHorse tuner but then you need to understand EFI tables and all the ins and outs of the Ford ECM's. I just don;t have time to do it and far as I know, Garry don't have his brain on disc fr me to download like in the Matrix

Tim

Haha!

Yeah from what I read it seems that the X3Z is kinda funky at best, I was just hoping to have an EEC that worked with the parts I have as a starting point. Are there other EEC’s that use the 24lb injectors? Is rather go to Gary once I have everything installed and running so I have a starting point.

Hinmaton