• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carburetor fits

labman1177

Gave up the Holley Truck Avenger and went back stock with the 2 barrel carburetor. This time I had an old mechanic do the work because I didn't have the time and carburetors give me fits. Any how I got it back the other day and it ran fine on the way home, I have driven it a couple of times since and it seems to flood out after running it a while. Its only after I stop and go in somewhere and come back out and try to crank it. I know he has it idled way up for some reason or another but I didn't want to go fooling around with it when I paid him to get it running rite this time. He's a good guy but slow he had it like two months last time and still didn't get it rite.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Could be float level, vacuum leak, choke adjustment etc. You either take it back or find the time to troubleshoot it yourself. No magic answer.

OP
OP
labman1177

labman1177

Was talking with a friend earlier and he had the same problem and it was his float. He had to adjust it while it was running to get his right. The carburetor had been sitting in my garage for a while.

Mill KNOB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rock Hill, SC
Jerry maybe you and me can get up and smoke thang over this weekend. I wounder if he hook the vac lines up right? That is something that we can check as well.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Make sure you have the 1/4 thick gasket with the plastic rings around the carb studs to prevent vapor lock.

OP
OP
labman1177

labman1177

Might do that George, I will give you a shout later in the week to see what you have going.

Az Bowhunter

Why did you give up the truck avenger. Did you have problems with it. I was actually thinking of getting it in the next couple weeks.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I know I sound like a stuck record, but those idle air bleeds will flood your intake after shut down if they get clogged. I am suspecting that a lot of "hot soak problems" are really the modern fuel clogging those air bleeds. I actually watched the fuel siphoning through the booster venturis after shut down one day. Took the booster venturis out, blew them out good, and the poor start after hot shut down stopped. Clean the idle air bleeds.

Attachments

• 4100_boosterbar_underside.jpg
    4100_boosterbar_underside.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
labman1177

labman1177

The idle air bleeds may be clogged it has been sitting around for about 2 years but before that it was cleaned and rebuilt. The main reason for getting rid of the avenger was it was way to big for my stock 302. It was a 670 and ran way to rich and sucked the gas. I had to dial it way back to get it to run right. I think a 470 would be great for stock any bigger and you'll waste a lot of fuel for no reason.

Tasty Geezer

Sounds like you need the spacer that prevents heat transfer to the carburetor and prevents vapor lock.

Same thing happened to my carb when my engine was hot and I would try to start it after letting it sit for longer than a couple minutes. Spacer fixed the problem for me.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
I know I sound like a stuck record, but those idle air bleeds will flood your intake after shut down if they get clogged. I am suspecting that a lot of "hot soak problems" are really the modern fuel clogging those air bleeds. I actually watched the fuel siphoning through the booster venturis after shut down one day. Took the booster venturis out, blew them out good, and the poor start after hot shut down stopped. Clean the idle air bleeds.

Do you know if the Holley has the same problem? I had a Holley 2300 and it was hard to start after hot shut down. I swapped to an old Motorcraft 2100 and I still have the same problem. I wonder if the air bleeds are clogged on both?

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Justafordguy, I don't recall. All my Holleys, including my old 2300, are ancient history. They do have air-bleeds in a similar location and may function similarly. The Autolite manual specifically refers to the air-bleed's anti-siphon function. And I can certainly confirm that.

Attachments

• Autolite_antisiphon.jpg
    Autolite_antisiphon.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 22