• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carter P4070 electric fuel pump alternatives

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Been running the Carter P4070 on my carbureted 351W for 3 years now and its taken a crap on me. Its getting fire but its stuck...I can tap it and it will start to pump but need to change it out.
It seems the Carter P4070 is getting fazed out because Summit says it will take 10 days before they can even ship it and Amazon says its not available anymore... so was looking at Autozone/Advanced for alternatives. Is there another brand (Delphi or Holley) that are in the same price range ($70) that I can easily just pop the new one on the bracket I have all ready mounted??? As you know as well as I do sometimes the parts guy hasn't a clue what they are looking for. I called one guy and he wanted my year and make of truck...come on man...I just need a universal pump
Or some suggestions?? Thanks

mrdrnac

Contributor
You shouldn't I have a 351C Engine with a Holley Truck Avenger Carb and Holley recommends 5 to 7 psi for a carburetor and 4 psi is minimum, so may run better!

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
You shouldn't I have a 351C Engine with a Holley Truck Avenger Carb and Holley recommends 5 to 7 psi for a carburetor and 4 psi is minimum, so may run better!

You may be right, I am running a Edelbrock 600cfm and just googled that it recommends around 6 psi. Gonna buy it, thanks again

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The P4070 has an inlet screen. If there isn't a factory sock left on the pickup (or an aftermarket tank that never has one) that screen is what catches any of the bigger junk sucked up the inlet.

The P4070 is generally a very good pump. I've owned several, often for decades. Only replaced one. Don't drop them on the electrical terminal on a concrete garage floor. They will leak after that. Took it apart and that is where I learned of the screen on the inlet inside the pump.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
The P4070 has an inlet screen. If there isn't a factory sock left on the pickup (or an aftermarket tank that never has one) that screen is what catches any of the bigger junk sucked up the inlet.

The P4070 is generally a very good pump. I've owned several, often for decades. Only replaced one. Don't drop them on the electrical terminal on a concrete garage floor. They will leak after that. Took it apart and that is where I learned of the screen on the inlet inside the pump.
Well I have made the mistake of not putting a fuel filter between the pump and the tanks and believe I have picked up trash:(

bronco loco

It never ends
Loc.
Long Island New York
While we are on a subject, I have a Carter p4070, it can be heard when is pumping. Is there a submersible pump for the BC broncos tank that can be used instead of the online carter p4070?, I have a carburator.

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
I just installed a Carter pump p4070 and can’t hear it when the engine is running Exhaust system is super quiet almost too quiet

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Been running the Carter P4070 on my carbureted 351W for 3 years now and its taken a crap on me. Its getting fire but its stuck...I can tap it and it will start to pump but need to change it out.
It seems the Carter P4070 is getting fazed out because Summit says it will take 10 days before they can even ship it and Amazon says its not available anymore... so was looking at Autozone/Advanced for alternatives. Is there another brand (Delphi or Holley) that are in the same price range ($70) that I can easily just pop the new one on the bracket I have all ready mounted??? As you know as well as I do sometimes the parts guy hasn't a clue what they are looking for. I called one guy and he wanted my year and make of truck...come on man...I just need a universal pump
Or some suggestions?? Thanks

they have rebuild kits for these fuel pumps. probably something stuck in the pump vanes. its not working so cant hurt to take it apart.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...Is there a submersible pump for the BC broncos tank that can be used instead of the online carter p4070?, I have a carburator.

There may be one that exists, but I've never seen a carb rated in-tank pump. All of ours (like this one for the same tank: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/ShermanTankEFIConversionkit/fuel-pumps-EB) are EFI pressure types.

I've seen discussions here on the forums on how to reduce pressure on one of those, but don't remember if anyone was successful in reducing from approx. 90-100 psi, down to 4-7 psi.
Using more than one regulator was put forward, but I believe that was ruled out. If someone makes a single regulator that's made to do that, then other than extra load on the pump itself I don't know what other problems you'd experience.

There are probably some older Japanese vehicles that ran electric pumps for carbureted engines, but it's possible that most, or all of those were external pumps as well.

Going back to yours for a moment though, where is it mounted, and more importantly how is it mounted? Maybe there are some other noise-abatement measures you can take prior to changing it out?

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
they have rebuild kits for these fuel pumps. probably something stuck in the pump vanes. its not working so cant hurt to take it apart.

Not a bad idea always good to have a spare...will any kit will do or does it have to be for the P4070??

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I had a Carter p4070 hat went through a fire. Then sat for a year. Turned the fuel to gunk. On first use after that it wouldn't run. So I disassembled it, cleane it. It has an interesting slider vanes design that you would never guess is durable. Re-assembled it and have been using it ever since. Bomb proof pumps.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I don't know if the kits are pump specific but the pressure spring is different between the higher pressure and lower pressure pump. Swapping springs from a low pressure pump to the high pressure pump creates a low pressure pump.