• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

GIVEAWAY CB.com Giveaway! - Automatic Tranny Detent Plate - Ends 10/31/07

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosshoff

Contributor
I'm in. Sign me up. Yes I have a stock sloppy column shift auto which slides through thhe gear spots with very little resistance.

MI-Bronco

I'm in..I'm in

have a OE column auto shift.
Can do the trial -
will put on in a timely manner..
but winter is coming in MI and that limits the miles I put on.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Hogback

sign me up, mine feels like it could pop out but it never has luckily.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
Installed plate today!

I just installed the plate Alexander sent me, thank you! My original detent plate was severally worn and had a groove worn almost all the way through (see last picture.)
Admin, please move this if there is a better place for it!
The install was very simple and took me about 15 minutes.
To install the plate do the following,
1. Block your wheels and/or set your working parking break, I did both.
2. Remove your steering wheel, this may very depending on what steering wheel you have. I had a GT grant wheel so I just popped the horn cap off, marked the shaft for center, and removed the nut using a 15/16" socket. Then I pulled the steering wheel off with a swift jerk of the wheel, mine has been off several times recently so you may need to use a steering wheel puller. Also remove the spring from behind it.
3. Remove the turn signal switch by taking out the three screws (shown with blue arrows first picture) then unscrew the signal lever and carefully pull the switch out there is a plate that sits over the plastic switch.. To get it all the way out you will have to carefully pull the wires out of the column slightly. No need to pull the wire all the way just enough to let the switch hang to the side.
4. Remove the shift indicator flange by removing the two nuts (blue arrows second picture) with a 7/16" socket. When pulling it of be careful not to drop the 2 square head bolts down the column. There is bushing in front of this that will come free once you unbolt the flange.
5. With the shift indicator flange pulled (third picture) out you can see the detent plate on the back. Remove the two screws holding it on and replace with the new one. Before reassembly apply some grease to the face and detents of the plate to reduce wear.
6. Then reinstall the shift indicator flange. This is a little tricky. Insert the square head bolts back in the flange and start the nuts on the bolts slightly. Push the shift collar down on the column. Align the flange and push the flange onto the collar while pushing the two nuts to hold the bolts in. The square head bolts sit in a groove inside the shift collar. Once in place tighten the to nuts.
7. Replace the bushing over the steering shaft.
8. Install the turn signal switch you may have to reach under the dash to pull the slack out of the wires to allow it to sit properly. Don't forget the plate that sits over the switch.
9. Put the spring over the shaft and slide the steering wheel back over the splined shaft align the top of the wheel with the center mark made in step 2. Install and tighten the nut. Then replace your horn assembly.

10. You may need to readjust your transmission linkage to make the detents on the transmission line up with the column.

Enjoy the piece of mine that you won't have a runaway bronco!

Attachments

• remove signal return (Medium).jpg
    remove signal return (Medium).jpg
    77 KB · Views: 22
  • remove shift collar (Medium).jpg
    remove shift collar (Medium).jpg
    71 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2213 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2213 (Medium).JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 29
  • old plate.jpg
    old plate.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
2 autos.. one column shifter.. one having a column shifter "reassembled"
so.. sign me up
I have felt the slop in park, but not had it pop out of gear yet.
-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.