• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

centech wiring help

Mr. Lav

ok I'm trying to get my daughters 74 done before Super Cell West. So two questions for now. the red battery wire to the amp gauge should I cut it to go through the loop or cut the loop, second question is for the ignition wiring has a black wire with a eye connector on it do i need to go to a ground or do I need to cut it off and put a spade connector on it and goes the the spade terminal on the ignition switch. Thanks Alex

SevenT

Contributor
Loc.
Southern Colorado
Mr. Lav,

Page 36 has the instruction for the amp gauge. I cannot find the ground wire that you mention. I can email you a copy of the complete instructions (2MB). Good luck. Hope to see you at Super Cel West.

v/r,

Mike

Attachments

• Amp Gauge Wiring.pdf
    569 KB · Views: 12

jhill52

Ford uses an inductive ammeter. Different than the ones shown in your diagram. There is a loop on the back of the gage that the wire must pass thru. I think I disconnected mine on one end passed thru loop and reconnected.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Centech directions say to cut Large Red Wire, go through loop and reconnect the ends.

The Larger Black wire (with eye connection) for the Ignition Switch is for the Accessory Power. This black wire would go on the Rear Post of the ignition switch and held in place with washer and nut.

The smaller black wire (bundled with Brown Heater Wire) labeled "Brake Warn" goes to the side of the ignition switch. (spade connection)

Granted, the Centech does not have the best instruction manual, but the info is in there. Third page in the Manual has a picture of the ignition switch as to where the two Black wires go.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mr. Lav

thanks. my manual is not in the best condition its been sitting in the garage for two years and is faded. but thanks again for all the help

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you sure the ACC wire for the back of the ignition switch is Black rguest? Just making sure because Centech does have a couple of grounds with ring-terminals under the dash. Or at least one if I remember, with a couple of wires crimped to the terminal?

I'm not sure, so am just double-checking with you. I did not remember any Black power wires in the Centech setup. Yes, the factory wire is Black w/green stripe, but Centech does not usually follow the factory colors other than a couple of voltage regulator wires if I remember.
Been awhile, so just making sure.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ford uses an inductive ammeter. Different than the ones shown in your diagram.

I saw that too, but scroll down and the second diagram is an image of the Ford style and a description of it's inductive pickup.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
the red battery wire to the amp gauge should I cut it to go through the loop or cut the loop

I may be wrong here (but I don't think so in this case) but I figure if you cut the loop on the back of the gauge you would render it permanently useless. It's an inductive pickup loop and I believe needs to be complete.
I suppose you could fix it with solder or something, but seems like it would be a real pain.

Cutting the Red wire (also a loop) is the normal practice, but I can never remember which way it's supposed to pass through the loop on the back of the gauge. Maybe someone can help with that. I wonder if it matters? Seems to me that since it's sensing the passage of current, if you put it in backwards the gauge will read in the negative when charging and in the positive when draining.
Is that correct?

second question is for the ignition wiring has a black wire with a eye connector on it do i need to go to a ground

Got a picture of this Black wire? It might be what rguest said and is the ACC wire for the back of the switch, but if it's a ground you definitely don't want it there!
I don't have the instructions on this computer unfortunately, so can't re-read them again (for the umpteenth time!) and give a more informed opinion.

or do I need to cut it off and put a spade connector on it and goes the the spade terminal on the ignition switch. Thanks Alex

See rguest's comment about the Brown wire.

Have fun!

Paul

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Paul

I don't like the idea of having a Black Wire being a Power Wire either, but that's where it goes. This Larger Black wire is also included in the same plug with the other Wires for the Ignition Switch. Page 3 in the Centech Manual shows it location Very clearly.

There are other terminated black wires (In the Dash Area) that are grounds as well.

I'll take a picture for Page 3 in the manual and post here tomorrow.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
All my wirers on my centech harness had stencil printed on the wires to where the went. That was 25 years ago so my be they don't do that.

jhill52

Mr Lav the Centech wireing skematic is available online if you need a new copy.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
wow, looks like they actually updated their instructions at some point!
I've never seen that particular diagram. Guess I should update mine at some point too.
And also take a look at some of the past versions I've done to see if that wire was indeed Black all the way back when, and if I am just getting too old to remember stuff like that.

Thanks for posting it up.

paul

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I must have the latest version of the instructions.

There is a Pamphlet, Instruction Manual and a smaller Yellow Book that has additional drawings as well.

I'll post a picture of the Ignition Switch, not the crude drawing, and the wiring itself today.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here are some pictures from my Centech Wire Harness and the Ignition Switch Picture from the Centech Manual.

As you can see from my wire harness, all of the Ignition Switch wiring is coming from 1 Plug. The larger Black Wire is on the Rear Post of the switch.

The Smaller Black Wire (which was bundled with the Brown Heater Wire shown) is attached to the spade connector on the side of the switch.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• Centech Ignition Switch.jpg
    Centech Ignition Switch.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Centech Ignition Switch Picture.jpg
    Centech Ignition Switch Picture.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 19

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wow, that's much better than the crude drawing. Never seen that one before...

Attachments

• Centech Ignition Switch.jpg
    Centech Ignition Switch.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Centech Ignition Switch Picture.jpg
    Centech Ignition Switch Picture.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
M

Mr. Lav

thanks everyone for the help. these pictures are better than the ones that came with my harness. I've went and downloaded a new instruction book