• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Check out this cool new tool

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
He should cram Vicks in one end and take a deep breath!

69 Fl. Bronc

My Father-in-law suffered badly from arthritis (damm I miss him) so I can see where this is a cool idea. He was a life-long mechanic and a Ford guy. Not sure about 15 bucks but if it keeps some old-timers out there doing their thing, great.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I knew a guy that used to carry a homemade tool for the same purpose. I used to joke about it. When I was young I had and still do have remarkable hand strength, but on day when the arthritis is bad I now regret joking on his tool. Even though I don't think I will carry something like that around yet, I am headed that way in a hurry.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, he was probably using that as an upgrade to what his father and grandfather used to use. Many a set of Vise-Grips were used to turn (and destroy!) the nice factory plastic knobs back in the day.

Wonder how much of the sticking-hub syndrome was due to leaky seals letting water get in there and ice up in the winter, and/or lack of maintenance?
I can see it being the o-ring seals, as they never were very tight in there.
None of ours ever did get hard to turn, but then I don't live where weather plays much of an issue with stuff like that either.

I hear ya on the hand strength. I don't think I have any particular problem that has a name, with joints and muscles. They just don't work as well as they used to!

Hmm, maybe it's time for that PVC tool after all... :-[

Paul

OP
OP
dave67fd

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
Agreed. I'm quite sure it may have saved him some pain and aggravation just can't see profiting off a homemade item that cost him or someone else next to nothing to make. This is nearly worthless in money value. Why not donate or offer to someone else in need FREE.

I try not to assume but I have known others to fall victim to people like this. For all we know he's got a box full of them.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe if he painted them up to hide the pipe markings, he might have something there. Some Ford Blue, Spicer Red, GM Mustard or RealTree Camo dipped versions perhaps? Hmm, Christmas colors and markings so it could double as a table display and salt shaker during the holidays! That's it!
From real "tool" to the newest best thing ever! %)

Guy's probably out of work and needing some food money for his family and grasping at any straw. I actually assumed he DID have a box full of them and was starting a business.
Be a real shame if he had just the one, it'd hardly be worth the time to advertise. But to each his own. Maybe he sold his 4wd for heating oil money and didn't want to see this gem go to waste. ;D

You never know.
But hey, I'm not buying. Maybe it'll all work out for him anyway.

Paul

ctkd

Loc.
Griffin, GA.
I think it's a great idea! As soon as I saw the pic. I thought of my grandpa who was my best friend and always came up with stuff like this. When he passed away I asked for all his tools and explained to the rest of the family that they were priceless (to me that is) Most were homemade and no one else would ever be able to use them except me, because I was the only one who took time to listen to him explain what these homemade Contraptions could do. I have something in the tool box kinda like this , but made of steel with a long handle so he didn't have to bend over . He made tools to make live eaiser. Boy do I miss him!

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
Maybe if he painted them up to hide the pipe markings, he might have something there.

Agreed, there is obviously a need and no one should be derided for trying to make a profit, but the guy should take some time to make it look like a product and not some shop hacked prototype if he is going to try and sell it. Hell just a shot of Rustolium black would go a long way to making look like a real tool someone would buy.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Agreed. I'm quite sure it may have saved him some pain and aggravation just can't see profiting off a homemade item that cost him or someone else next to nothing to make. This is nearly worthless in money value. Why not donate or offer to someone else in need FREE.

I try not to assume but I have known others to fall victim to people like this. For all we know he's got a box full of them.

Nothing wrong at all trying to make a few bucks to put food on the table!
or pay a bill. He's not screwing anyone. Jeez %)
value is in the eyes of the buyer alone

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Can't believe some are puttin this guy down! I think it is a great idea and if it were painted Black and from one of the vendors the responses would have been different. %)

For me I think its a pretty cool simple idea that makes something that can potentially be a PITA alot easier. Especially when the temps are really cold. Last time I looked in Home Depot or Lowes, PVC isn't exactly free either and compared to all of the other businesses charging ridiculous prices for some of the stuff that they have come up with, i think that this is right on par with the rest of them. Good job.

Lastly, this is so easy to copy that ANYONE can literally make one if they wanted to!

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Both of my grandfathers would have smiled satisfyingly at such a simple/ingenious tool.
The root of genius is often simplicity.

jhill52

If it was made from billet aluminum and cost $100.00 guys would be scrambling to buy one.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Agreed, there is obviously a need and no one should be derided for trying to make a profit, but the guy should take some time to make it look like a product and not some shop hacked prototype if he is going to try and sell it. Hell just a shot of Rustolium black would go a long way to making look like a real tool someone would buy.

why not tape it up nice with camouflage tape and write duck commander on it?:p

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Ever had cold PVC shatter in your hands? That stuff is suddenly as sharp as grabbing a handful of razor blades. Good idea, been around for a long time. Horrible choice of materials. Would be better carved out a chunk of wood.