• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Chevy dic brake conversion- spindles?

scbronco

Loc.
Sumter, SC
im having a hard time finding a donor in my local junkyards for the chevy disc conversion. i dont mind buying new parts, but i cant find a source for the spindles. the rotors and calipers are fairly cheap through advance and autozone, but they dont even list the spindles on their website. anybody have any suggestions?

fmcpeters

Or you can use the original ford spindles, there is a good how to on here posted I beleive by Boss351. I used his how to and been working fine for me.

SDlivin

Loc.
San Diego
Not specifically your questions, and hopefully someone can probably double verify this, but I believe the spindles for disc versus drum are a little bit different. At least they were for me when I did my conversion.
The Disc spindles had a thicker flange/seating area to take into account the depth of the caliper/dust shield mounting plate. Whereas my drum brake spindles did not have this extra depth in that area.

Not positive it makes a big difference, but....

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Or you can use the original ford spindles, there is a good how to on here posted I beleive by Boss351. I used his how to and been working fine for me.

Ditto here, all I used was the backing plate and calipers from a GMC, had to use a bolt and washer in the end of the axle (66's were factory that way) and has been running just fine.

OP
OP
scbronco

scbronco

Loc.
Sumter, SC
ok, i loked for boss351's thread, but i didnt find it. so youre saying just use the bronco spindles that came with the drum brakes, and simply add the backing plate, rotor and caliper... then use a bolt and washer in the end of the axle shaft, just like in the tech write up thats in the tech articles sectionof this forum? if that is the case, then that's awesome. the rotor and caliper are available from advance for a fair price, what other bits and peices might i need?

OP
OP
scbronco

scbronco

Loc.
Sumter, SC
ok... just got done reading the boss351 writeup, and it all sounds great, except i still have to find a donor vehicle for the caliper mount bracket/dustsheild... anyone know if a 2wd chevy caliper bracket will work?

fmcpeters

I looked and looked for a set in the local yards and never ran across them. I finally bought some off a member here through the for sale section and at a good price. Might want to post in the wanted section I'm sure there are a few floating around here somewhere.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not to be to offtopic but what year Chevy Blazer is used? 74? 76?

I believe it was the K5/K10 from '73 to '76.5, but don't quote me unless verified by others.
Should be some info here. Check the "Tech Articles" section.

Paul

Mr. Lav

what you are looking for are spindles from a ch**y 1972-1974 small beaing spindles so you can use the ford hub and rotors from a f-150 or full size bronco the backing plates I found a soild backing plate (just in case you slame into a rock) off a 1980 big bearing spindle ch**y truck and don't forget the calipers, I just bought a rebuild kit for them. Hope that helps

RustyShackelfor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Centerville, TN
Just about any chevy 4x4 brake backing plate can be used up through the 80's. The only thing you have to look for is that there were 2 plates. One was stamped deeper than the other. You need the deeper of the 2.

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Just about any chevy 4x4 brake backing plate can be used up through the 80's. The only thing you have to look for is that there were 2 plates. One was stamped deeper than the other. You need the deeper of the 2.

Not 100% true. I have found that almost all of the backing plates work but some have less of an offset for the caliper mount and will not work. If you stick to blazers and 1/2 tons you should be fine. I believe the variation is in 3/4 and or 1 ton's.

KD

Loc.
Monroe, NY
I found a guy who has a 1987 Chevy Suburban 1500. Do you think the caliper mounts and calipers will work for a disc conversion?