• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help me ID my pile of Chevy/GM front disc parts and need some advice

OP
OP
skrit

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
Here's an update on my progress today. Knuckles and backing plates painted last weekend.

Pressed in ball joints, learned the upper joint zerk mounted on the bottom doesn't work with the axle shaft, packed new Timken wheel bearings with red and tacky, forged a spindle bearing knock out tool from an old screw driver using a torch and a BFH, pressed in new spindle bearings, assembled it all and...

dangit, the new rotor and hub is hitting the backing plate.

Scratched my head and had a beer. Then used a different spindle to mock it up. Mind you I have 4 sets of spindles for some reason and they are all slightly different. The ones that were super rusty in my OP were the correct ones. Luckily I had an extra set of spindle bearings to use. Now everything fits and spins without issue. Just need to add the calipers and torque it all down.

20241012_205130.jpg

20241012_205120.jpg

20241012_205458.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Where did it hit? You’re saying the spindle was too short and the back of the hub and rotor bottomed out on the shield/bracket?

OP
OP
skrit

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
Correct. The inner bearing was not being stopped by the spindle shoulder. If you look closely at the pics of my various spindles, the rusty one had a taller shoulder area which stopped the bearing and as a result, the back of the rotor from hitting the backing plate.