• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

chipped teeth on gears in tranny (pics)

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
Hello all, <br>Check out some of these pics<br>http://supermottl.classicbroncos.com/photo.html<br>I noticed a few chunk taken out of the one gear in my top loader.<br>Looks like it may be the gear involved with reverse, cuz way down in between some gears, working a lever makes a smaller gear move into the one with chips, and the wear is on opposite sides.<br>should I worry?<br>What should I use to seal the top cover?<br>Thanks

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
That is what happens when you grind reverse. These look like fresh chips. Can you spin the mainshaft around and find the worst (biggest) chip?<br><br>BH

rflud

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Modesto, CA
gear_chip5.jpg

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Hmmm, toploader 4-speed ;D It will probably work again but if it were me, I would replace the 1-2 shift collar. How does the reverse slider look? And can you drain those chips out of there. The toploader I had used a magnetic drain plug.<br><br>BH

OP
OP
S

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
BroncoHowie, The pic posted is the biggst chip.<br>Is the reverse slider down in the bottom towards the levers? It looks OK, but the edges of the teeth show some wear...<br>There's no gear oil in it now, bought it empty for shipping purposes. I'll check the drain plug for ferrous material

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
[quote author=supermottl link=board=5;threadid=14200;start=0#106837 date=1044976702]<br>BroncoHowie, The pic posted is the biggst chip.<br>Is the reverse slider down in the bottom towards the levers? It looks OK, but the edges of the teeth show some wear...<br>There's no gear oil in it now, bought it empty for shipping purposes. I'll check the drain plug for ferrous material<br>[/quote]<br><br>Hey supermottl,<br>The rev slider moves fore and aft when you shift the reverse lever. The damaged tooth is slightly weakened and may not have full contact on the chipped side of the tooth but it will work. You will need to be careful not to be to harsh when releasing the clutch when you back-up. If your maindrive and mainshaft bearings are smooth, then pop it in and run it. Listening to the gearbox while driving it is the next best test to taking it apart and looking at everything. As far as sealing the top cover back into place, If the gasket is not torn, clean both surfaces oil free with brakleen spray on a rag. Clean the bolts too and use sealer on the threads of the bolts that go all the way through the casting. Then put a layer of Gasgasinch on both surfaces and torque the bolts in place. There are 2 longer bolts that usually have crosses stamped into the heads of the bolts. These 2 bolts go in the 2 bolt holes that have deep threads in the case.<br><br>BH

mgweiss

Loc.
Denver
I've ran several different toploaders in my truck, none were in very good shape when I put them in. If the transmission starts grinding or popping under acceleration / deceleration, then the end is near. Some gear noise is normal wear and tear, nothing to worry about. From your pictures it looks like it was slammed into 1st and reverse, or wasn’t all the way in gear when the clutch was released. You may want to check the shift linkage to make sure its engaging the gears all the way.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
The thing about these top-loaders is that you need to stop the trans from turning if you're going to shift into reverse. Or else what you have will happen. I normally shift into 1st before I go into reverse and you'll avoid that dredded reverse grind. That damage you have looks minimal I've seen worse that continued to last. Just make sure you get all the fragments out before running it again.<br> If you need parts go to David Kee Top Loaders He has all the parts needed for a rebuild. I bought a master rebuilt kit from him and a main shaft conversion kit for Advance Adapters for one of my EBs. It's still waiting to get installed.

OP
OP
S

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
Thanks a lot guys..<br>That helps. I figured I'd run it and when/if it dies, I'll pull it. <br>Thanks BH for the sealant tips. There was no gasket, just some redish goo/foamy stuff, that I peeled off with the top cover. It was all over the threads of the bolts too, so i'll have to get some of that.<br>Thanks again...

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
[quote author=supermottl link=board=5;threadid=14200;start=0#107015 date=1045060137]<br>Thanks a lot guys..<br>That helps. I figured I'd run it and when/if it dies, I'll pull it. <br>Thanks BH for the sealant tips. There was no gasket, just some redish goo/foamy stuff, that I peeled off with the top cover. It was all over the threads of the bolts too, so i'll have to get some of that.<br>Thanks again...<br>[/quote]<br><br>If your top cover is sheet metal, you will need to run a full gasket up there, it's part of the breather system. If you don't use a full gasket the gears will throw oil directly onto the breather hole. It will leak gear oil every time you let out the clutch. <br><br>BH