• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Choosing a front disc kit

DR650

I just want my truck to be reliable as a daily driver and for light to moderate wheeling. For someone like myself who doesn't need the best I performance is there any reason to go with the duff kit over the graveyard one given the 1k price difference?

I'm a physics major so I have some intuition about mechanical things but my mechanical experience is light to moderate.

Edit: I have a Dana 44

Duff kit:https://dufftuff.com/product/ft-dis...t-dana-44-1971-76-bronco/#choose-caliper-type

Graveyard kit: https://shop.broncograveyard.com/mo...-Disc-Brake-Conversion-Kit/productinfo/12115/

Last edited:

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Lots of original replacement parts available for disc brakes up front. I understand a kit has everything. but once you do it yourself, you'll understand how easy it is.

doran4x

Contributor
Are you running a Dana 44? If so you should find a set of 77-79 Ford Dana 44 disc knuckles and start buying all the parts you will need. There’s a pair on eBay right now. Upgrade to the Thunderbird calipers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
DR650

DR650

Are you running a Dana 44? If so you should find a set of 77-79 Ford Dana 44 disc knuckles and start buying all the parts you will need. There’s a pair on eBay right now. Upgrade to the Thunderbird calipers
Yeah, Dana 44's what I got.

I'm not opposed to buying the parts individually If that's what makes sense *but* time is and ability are factors because I'm trying to get into graduate school at the moment.

The work itself will be completed by a mechanic I'm friends with. How much effort is the T-Bird upgrade? I read In another post it gives about a 30% boost to breaking power so it seems like it could be worthwhile

OP
OP
DR650

DR650

Lots of original replacement parts available for disc brakes up front. I understand a kit has everything. but once you do it yourself, you'll understand how easy it is.

Seems like that's Dorans suggestion as well. I just don't have a ton of time and there's other things I want to do to the truck so expediency is a factor

doran4x

Contributor
After you purchase the knuckles the other parts are over the counter. Dana 44 outer rebuild kit. google is your friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There are a few kits out. Most are GM based. The mid 70's GM truck also uses the Dana 44 and most of the parts work. But you use a Ford rotor to get the Ford bolt pattern.

Duff's is pretty much a copy of the factory Ford disk brake setup used in the late 70s. More involved as you have to change knuckles where the GM stuff the knuckle stay on and you just change spindles.

Then there is stuff like Wilwood, true aftermarket. Not recycling stock parts/designs.

OP
OP
DR650

DR650

There are a few kits out. Most are GM based. The mid 70's GM truck also uses the Dana 44 and most of the parts work. But you use a Ford rotor to get the Ford bolt pattern.

Duff's is pretty much a copy of the factory Ford disk brake setup used in the late 70s. More involved as you have to change knuckles where the GM stuff the knuckle stay on and you just change spindles.

Then there is stuff like Wilwood, true aftermarket. Not recycling stock parts/designs.
I was thinking of going with this kit: https://shop.broncograveyard.com/Ford-Bronco-Front-Disc-Brake-Conversion-Kit/productinfo/12115/
paired with this hydroboost: https://shop.broncograveyard.com/19...Power-Brake-Booster-Set-Up/productinfo/12501/

Are there other parts that dont come with the kit that I would want to order/ have my mechanic change out while doing this job?

OP
OP
DR650

DR650

That's not hydroboost. That's a vacuum brake booster.
Dang! Every post I've read says hydroboost is better but I haven't look into how much better it is or how much more expensive it is than vaccume boost. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me. Thanks Scott :)

Edit: lots of votes for hydro so far

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
If the duff kit still comes with their knuckles, then hands down it's a duff kit.

Ooof, I know see the price on that kit, OUCH!

OK, I think I would run down a set of knuckles and then do the parts counter and buy parts individually.

By the way, the JBG rebuild kit with the milemarker hubs are not necessary as your stock hubs will work fine.

Too, you can get the knuckles from any 1/2 ton ford with a D44 to make this stuff work. Truck, big bronco 78-79 models etc

Last edited:

R Moses

Contributor
Loc.
Corbin
I have the duff kit with Thunderbird calipers on my 75. It works great. It is worth every penny!