• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

clunk clunk clunk ... sreeeeeeeeeach!

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
%) %) %) If your dieseling I would get a qt. of water run the RPM to about 3500 and use the water to bring it back down to 1500 to 1800. Dont use the water to kill the motor. Do this with the motor hot the water will bust the carbon. And when you get it right fix the timming its off. good luck and have fun.;D ;D ;D Bill%) :cool: ;D %) PS this is old school and works very good.

Amazing what some of the older members can help you with if you listen. Wild Bill is dead on....I saw my Dad do this very thing several times growing up...and it does work.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Regarding Octane boosters, I did a search under "toluene" in the archives. Found a few interesting links under this thread: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62781&highlight=toluene

Just as a refresher, if you are running 87 octane and need more, just pump in the premium at the pump. It's easier then mixing in paint thinner. That and you can get it at any gas station as you fill the truck. When you run out of octane at the pump, then look at additives.

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Well after half a day of problem solving I finally figured it out.

Dieseling - did the seafoam trick to the intake and adjusted the idle down a bit - cleaned it up at least for now.

Pinging - put octane booster and the above sea foam cured this.

Clinking sound - turned out to be the fan - thought it was hitting the shroud but after pulling the radiator and shroud it turned out to be hitting the bottom pulley (which would explain why it went away when the RPMS increased - the fan flexed forward and cleared the pulley). Added in a spacer to the fan and we should be good to go - need to reassemble tomorrow - on my way to a wedding.

Thanks for all the help guys - as usual, couldn't have done it without ya.

WildBill - are you suggesting to pour the qt of water down the carb while the engine is running? I thought water in the intake was a big no-no.

spixican07

Loc.
Houston
the crank finally comes to a stop but hasn't reached the top of the compression stroke. The fuel lights off (diesels) and pushes the piston down. Since it hasn't crossed over the top of the stroke, it goes the only way it can, backwards.
Ah that makes sense. Especially because the ignition point is a few degrees bTDC.

In order for it to continue dieseling I'd also then point to an over-rich mixture for two reasons... one because that would give the engine fuel to consume as it ran backwards, and two because lean mixtures actually run cooler inside the piston walls and would result in less of these pinging / dieseling conditions.

Just as an fyi to whoever said lean mixtures run hot, the hottest you can get an engine to run (adiabatic flame temp) is exactly at stoichiometric, or the perfect mix of air and fuel. Any leaner or richer and the temperature drops.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just as an fyi to whoever said lean mixtures run hot, the hottest you can get an engine to run (adiabatic flame temp) is exactly at stoichiometric, or the perfect mix of air and fuel. Any leaner or richer and the temperature drops.

I think that was me. I was going by old thinking there, and can't remember an example or theory to put up an argument. I know now from reading more modern up-to-date books that what you say is correct. At least as far as the actual combustion process goes.
Don't know if there are any dynamics that would allow that lean (cooler) mixture to run in such a way as to create more heat (per the coolant gauge) in the engine when running around town or under load.

Glad we're given the opportunity to keep learning.

Paul

spixican07

Loc.
Houston
Glad we're given the opportunity to keep learning.

Ditto that. I took an IC engines class last semester so some of this stuff is still bouncing around in my head. But guys like Broncobowsher put me to shame. Its good reading, good stuff to know ;D

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
tom, i thought it might be the mufflers hitting the floor, all four of them.

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Tasker - that joke wasn't funny even when I HAD four mufflers....ok maybe a little.

The sound turned out to be my metal fan bumping and grinding (R. Kelly style) on the lower belt pulley. All fixed now!

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
EXCELLENT! get that ready for the opener....yeee hah!

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
First pre-season game on friday. I ordered my Whitner jersey this past weekend.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Went out to the HOF this weekend, good time. Met Bruce, Hull, Jerry O, Deacon Jones, Paul Hornug, very cool time.

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I used to work downtown as a bouncer - I'd see Thurman and Jimbo all the time.