• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Clutch binding

steelworker77

Had a local shop install a new clutch and flywheel and for me a few weeks ago. 71 with 302 and stock 3 speed with duffys floor shifter. It was just a luk replacement diaphragm clutch.

My clutch linkage is all good, adjusted properly and everything seems to work as it should. I am getting a binding/sticking feeling in the clutch pedal which I tracked down to the clutch fork inside the trans. Seems like through the travel something is rubbing. I am not getting any type of throwout bearing noise or anything like that. It is noticeably better when its cold vs hot as well.

One thing I am fixing this week is the clutch pedal stop bumper is virtually gone so my pedal is is sitting very high. I have the correct amount of freeplay currently but maybe I am over extending when pushing the clutch in? The previous clutch had a really smooth clutch action. Shop used the throwout bearing that came with the clutch kit and is a very respected shop that I have always had a good experience with so I pretty sure the install is correct.

With the pedal so high the adjusted rod into the clutch fork is basically out of adjustment so hoping getting the pedal where it should be will get rid of that issue.

Anyone ever experience anything like this. Really dont want to have to drop the trans again.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Definitely get the bumper fixed. You don’t want to adjust the clutch based on that high pedal height.
Almost better to adjust it like normal, based on a lower pedal height, though that might feel wrong because it has too much initial free play.
So best to get that fixed. Y

Your theory about over-travel is certainly possible. Especially if your old clutch was the original three finger “Long “style. Versus a diaphragm like the new one.
They both work well, but have different dynamics.

OP
OP
S

steelworker77

Where is everyone measuring there 6 1/4 - 6 3/4 from that I keep reading about for total throw?

OP
OP
S

steelworker77

Was able to replicate the rubber bumper for now to see if it changed anything. Have it adjust a little higher than the brake pedal and have about 1" or so of free play. Still sticky chattering feeling. Feels like throw out bearing is hanging up through its travel. Busy the next few days but I was gonna stick a borescope in through the clutch fork hole and have my wife work the clutch slowly and see if I can figure something out.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry to hear it’s still fighting you, but happy to hear you got another next step for the hunt.
A bore scope is a cool tool for sure