• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Clutch Fork Bail wire intall?

69BroncoNH

Hi,

I've looked all over the place and can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Can the bail wire be installed on the clutch fork, with the bell housing, etc. in place or does all have to come out? After futzing with it I'm guessing the later.

Thanks, John

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
i'm thinking it's all coming out......sorry

kaw550

Bronco Guru
If you do end up dropping the drivetrain, I have the other style belhousing and fork if you want it. I am not sure if one style is better than the other.

I am located in western MA.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What year is your Bronco John? 6-cyl or V8?
I'm just trying to keep track of which models used the bailing wire clip. Personally, I've never worked on a Bronco that had them. All the ones I've played with had the clip-and-slot type mount/pivot, so I'm not much help with your answer.
But I'm curious.

Thanks. And good luck.

Paul

OP
OP

69BroncoNH

Hi,

The bronco is a 69. Early mustangs (and other Fords) have this style, as well. It was replaced in ~71 with the much sturdier "clip" version. The clips are riveted in place, which is prone to breaking, I may tig it in place. I have one of those as a spare. It's a pain in the butt, to have to replace a $5 part with who know how much for labor. Thanks for the replies.

John

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
where in NH are ya? need a hand sometime?

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi,
Mine had the bailing wire, it is a crap design but works. I modified mine to become the clip style. I just looked at photos online, fab'd the clip, cut a rectangular hole in the bell housing tab, and rivited the clip to the fork. The fork was super tuff to drill and ate several drill bits but it wasn't any big deal.
Good luck!
Chris
:cool: