• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Clutch pressure plate

gick70

I seen in past post where the newer diaphragm (clutches)may rub compare to the old three lever ones! Let's hear what u got!

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
In my experiences, the throw required for the diaphragm type is longer than the old Borg & Beck (three fingered) style.
You may need to adjust your pedal eccentric up to gain enough pedal freeplay.

Jebus

Loc.
Longview, WA
When I put my combination together, small block pattern, original flywheel, diaphram clutch, cast early large bellhousing, the spring steel flat, return springs?, sticking out the diameter of the 11 inch setup scored the bellhousing enough that I dissassembled and made clearance in the bell housing and evenly reduced the corners of the flat springs.

I attributed it to the 3.8 crank flywheel end being a bit longer. An afterthought.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I seen in past post where the newer diaphragm (clutches)may rub compare to the old three lever ones! Let's hear what u got!

No it has nothing to do with adjustment!

Then you must be talking about Jebus was referring to? I thought you were talking about the throwout bearing. Likely what buckaroo was thinking too.
I didn't remember ever hearing about actual rubbing, but it must be "a thing" 'cause you got an answer right away!

We've been selling replacement clutches for 20 years (more likely more) and I don't remember ever getting that call. Maybe Jim remembers (he's got a steel trap memory), but I don't.

So are you experiencing it? Or just thinking ahead and wanting input?

Paul