• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Coil wire keeps coming off?

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Noticed the '71 missing a bit on the way home. Figured I'd check it when I got there. It got worse and started backfiring and chugging. I limped it home(about 2 miles) into the driveway. Checked it good and the end of the coil wire was just laying on top of the distributor. This has happened twice in the last week. First time I didn't really think about it, but has anyone had this happen? Can it mess anything up (timing, plugs, carb,anything else) bu loading up and chugging for a couple of miles? I put the wire plug back onto the dist. and it started up after a few chuggs and runs fine again. The plug wires are about 3 mos old(2000 mi)

Thanks Much,

Blue71

Newt

What'd you do, buy them cheapies? ::) Anything on em you can pry out for a tighter fit? You can always use RTV Silicone. I had one of the first MSD boxes. You could open the hood at night & see a light show on the top of the coil. I put Silicone all over the coil top. Stoped that $hit.

Wildturkey

BANNED
Loc.
Coker, Alabama
Getting where you cant buy anything with quality anymore.If it's a stock dist cap just take a pair of needlenose pliers and round the brass connector that fits inside the cap.Dont spread it too much.Just make sure it fits tight

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
small zip tie around the boot.
you should be able to spread the connector inside to make it hold in like newt said.