• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Colorado Trail Run - Chinaman Gulch - Pics Added

OP
OP
cbearly

cbearly

Loc.
Wellington, Colorado
coachbarnes said:
...Any suggestions on similar runs nearby that can be made with a stock 4x4 (Durango)?

Scott,
Another trail in the Leadville area you might try is Hagerman Pass. It is rated moderate like Mosquito Pass is. To get there take 6th Street west out of Leadville to Turquoise Lake, the road continues west over Hagerman Pass. It will take you over to Ruedi Reservoir and the town of Basalt, or you can just turn around and return back to Leadville.

There is a great book called "Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails" by Charles A Wells. Volume 1 includes the Summit County area. A lot of local outdoor/adventure or book stores carry it. It will have a lot of good discriptions of trails in the area.

I hope you have a great vacation.

- Chris -

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
In the leadville area, also check out North Halfmoon creek. Make sure you don't go on South Half moon, it's a bit too rough for a stock rig. BUT the water crossing on the north side could be a bit deep to, but you can still get up in there pretty good. If you get up there, you can walk to the Champion mine, VERY cool place. Also check out www.4x4trails.net click on "Trails" and search for trails in Summit, Lake, Park, Clear creek, & Eagle counties. The S Mt. Elbert trail (Lake cnty) is nice and scenic and takes you up pretty high. I am not sure what you'd see for snow up there tho.

How was Mosquito Pass?

OP
OP
cbearly

cbearly

Loc.
Wellington, Colorado
BFPD630 said:
Sorry I could not make the run, I wish I had been there. I will try to make the next meeting- is it the 3rd?

No, we figured a lot of people would have other plans because of July 4th, so we rescheduled the next meeting for the following Monday July 10th.

We missed having you along, and you missed a great trail run. I think Paul and my family are going to try to make it to the Ouray area about the middle of August. If you are interested check your schedule and maybe we can plan dates at the next meeting.

z70what

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Johnson City
I love my bronco and all Early broncos, but i used to build jeeps.. that CJ7 in those pics is nice.. has a black diamond bolt on coil over suspension system on it.. not a bad way to spend 3500 dollars... However... the broncos are still much much cooler!!

Luke

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
cbearly said:
Scott,
Another trail in the Leadville area you might try is Hagerman Pass. It is rated moderate like Mosquito Pass is. To get there take 6th Street west out of Leadville to Turquoise Lake, the road continues west over Hagerman Pass. It will take you over to Ruedi Reservoir and the town of Basalt, or you can just turn around and return back to Leadville.

There is a great book called "Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails" by Charles A Wells. Volume 1 includes the Summit County area. A lot of local outdoor/adventure or book stores carry it. It will have a lot of good discriptions of trails in the area.

I hope you have a great vacation.

- Chris -
Thanks Chris -- picked the book up yesterday and we're going to make Hagerman Pass Thursday (rafting the Arkansas today!). Thanks for the advice!

How was Mosquito Pass?
I hadn't expected it to be open, and even the ranger station told me it was closed when I called (Hey Monty, what's up with your boys!;D ). But I thought we could at least make a short run and see some of the old mining ruins. Before I knew it, we were at the summit! One little area (tight switchback just before the summit on the Leadville side) had some deep snow, but there was room to pass on the left. The only downside was the steep drop to my rear if the lame rental didn't perform...but I'm not trying to make it out to be more than it was. It was a beautiful drive, on a perfect Colorado day.

You Colorado boys enjoy what ya have! I regret not doing more wheelin' when I lived here..but that Ouray trip sure sounds tempting. I've done a lot of the trails down there, but I've never done Black Bear and sure would like a shot at it! Have FUN!! I'm off to the river!;D

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
z70what said:
I.. that CJ7 in those pics is nice..

Wait a minute.....there was a Heep in those pictures?!? I hadn't noticed....;D

silverbullet

Loc.
Columbia, MO
Man those pics made the blood flow a bit faster. Sounds like a great trip wish I could have made it. Still in the process of getting mine back drivable. Would love to partake sometime once shes running.

dodgepaul

Loc.
Nevada IA
Thanks for posting the pics Chris, what a great day even if I did twist an axle. The truck hasn't failed me in ten years and it still got off the trail by itself. No complaints, see if you can get the DVD burnt and send me the video of the whole day, I'd love to see it.