• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Column Shifter with Coyote 6R80

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
Interested in using an aftermarket column with a column shifter for my Coyote 6R80. Anyone done this and how? Not alot of room on firewall. Just kind of like the clean look of a column shifter.

Quick & Dirty

If you have some engineering and fab skills, this may help to come up with your own solution.
Factory Mustang floor shifter drawing with angles of motion.

U9a1TDa.jpg

Typical Ford column shifter detent. Some careful welding and grinding could get the 7 detent positions for the 6 speed.
zNwBb7s.png

Would need new decal positions for the indicator as well.

s23218

Interested in using an aftermarket column with a column shifter for my Coyote 6R80. Anyone done this and how? Not alot of room on firewall. Just kind of like the clean look of a column shifter.
Hi, I'm changing my mind about a floor vs colum and have an issue with the colum shift lever/Coyote engine interfearance. What are youusing for colum, body lift (I don't want one) and have modified my IDIDIT colum for engine clearance for the Coyote Valve covers and U-joint. Also redesigned M/C installation (Hydra Boost) so it mounts on the L/S of the firewall doubler straigh and level, looks like it was designed that way. Rather easy modifaction. dmillspaugh@msn.com

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The 10 speed we have at work actually simplifies the shifter, and I bet it will work with the 6 speed as well. Fewer detents.
P R N D M, with M being manual mode. You would need to check the software you are using to know if that pattern is compatible. Then what to do with the manual switches.

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
rcmbronc,

So what did you end up doing? I'm trying to figure out how to keep the factory column, keeping the shifting on the column. Is there a way to have P R N D M on the column and then have an electronic shifter for manual shifting somewhere else in interior?

OP
OP
rcmbronc

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I ended up sticking with my floor shifter. Toom many other things to tackle so that was not one of them. Maybe in the future.

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
I talked to Lokar this week and they’re within a few months of a dedicated 10r80 shifter. They already have one for the 6r80 and will not say it works for 10r80 but it does if you buy the shift lever from power by the hour or day fender garage for the transmission side. I like that the lokar floor shifter allows sport mode bump shifting.

OP
OP
rcmbronc

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
Here are some pics

Attachments

• IMG_4176.JPG
    IMG_4176.JPG