• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Coming soon: New IronBender 4-link kit - Installed Pics on page 4!!

kntr

Bronco Guru
Which do you reccommend? 1.5:1 or 2:1 if we are running the quicker box already?

68ford

Bronco Guru
mines 4 turns lock to lock and i think its going to be good. i dont think i wouldwant ittighter being that spendalot of time over 60mph in the desert. for those short courses like in your videos i would probably just try the 2 to 1. youdont drive it on the street do you?

kntr

Bronco Guru
mines 4 turns lock to lock and i think its going to be good. i dont think i wouldwant ittighter being that spendalot of time over 60mph in the desert. for those short courses like in your videos i would probably just try the 2 to 1. youdont drive it on the street do you?

No street driving, all offroad. The fastest we go is about 50mph on some of the baja courses. Ill have to give it a try. Thanks. Did you order yours from the company you listed? How hard of an install?

68ford

Bronco Guru
i messed up, i have a 4 turn box and the 1.5 to 1 quickener. iffroad only and not really over 50pmh, i just get the 2 to 1.

currious, you running bypass shocks on the rear? what is you front set-up?

fdezone

Loc.
Fredericksburg, VA
I think Jacko's playing it safe and being wise about it. At times it sounds like he's still doing R&D with all the feedback he's getting from the test rigs. Had he quoted us a price earlier, even ballpark, he would've had to come back repeatedly increasing the price as a result of other additions (i.e., sway bars, etc.). In addition, he was still looking into manufacturing and his hope is to offer this system in stages which would enable the owner to upgrade along the way (i.e., coils, coilovers, air bumps, sway bars(?), etc.).

This should be a nice, well thought out and complete system offering plenty of adjustability. What's the price of steel nowadays? Not for nothing, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the "complete kit" climbing into the $2,000 to $2,500 range (easily) with all the bells and whistles. :p That would put it on par with equally compatible systems on the market. Jack's not giving you a piece of DOM tubing! Shoot, Camburg offers their lower links alone for $1,400 to $1,500.

pairframed.jpg

The question is what's the base price going to start at? Now that I (without absolutely any knowledge) threw out some numbers, maybe Jack will chime in with accurate figures. Jacko? %) I'm trying to force your hand here biznitch! ;D What's the latest news? Curious minds want to know.

OP
OP
IronBenderII

IronBenderII

Hi guys, sorry about that. We did do several changes based off of the feedback that we got from our test trucks. I've also been changing things to get the manufacturing costs down. The original arms that are out there have an incredible amount of welding required, I think I counted 25 ft of weld per arm on the last set we made. Waaaay too much, the kits would be like $10k :). The new version still has a lot of welding but not nearly as much. More like 7 feet per arm.

I've got what I hope to be the final version. The laser is waiting for me to pick up, I hope to get it built next week and shipped out. Assuming that it's what we're looking for we can start working on getting them into production.

Cost - FDEZone nailed it. I didn't want to give a cost before I had the production version done. Until I know that the next version will be the last, I still don't know. I know that it will be more than the Duff kit, trying to keep it from being too much more. Not as much as the Camburg kit for sure, even though we have more work and cost into our product - the Bronco community won't buy a $3k rear suspension. I'm pretty sure it will be under $2k for the kit, how much depends on how things look when I get them from the laser shop...

cmmcd72

Contributor
Update on the 4-link rear? Looks great, I'm ready to jump in. I would love to see some pics of the 4-link with coilovers in the rear.

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
Any updates on this?

I haven't heard anything lately and am curious what other options are out there in addittion to the Duff's kit. I would love to see some flex comparisons between the two different kits.

OP
OP
IronBenderII

IronBenderII

Hi guys. We're still alive, we just don't get to this site very often. We're looking for a manufacturer right now.

As for flex comparisons, I guess I'm not super crazy about tons of flex. It seems to get you in as much trouble as it gets you out of, you can get a lot of flex from simple leaf springs. What I'm be more concerned with is how much rear steer are you going to get, what kind of shocks can you put on the system, how well will they perform, how flexible is the kit to dial in anti-squat, etc.

Our kit has nice geometry, the Duff's kit looks like it does as well. As far as flex, shocks, etc. I think that's where our kit will do very well. A lot of people run inboarded shocks so that they can run shorter shocks and get good travel. I've run a couple different variations of that on my Bronco and it works fine for rock crawling. The problem is when you start wanting to go fast on the highway or on the dirt road, it's hard for inboarded shocks to control sway or full cycling from hitting big bumps/junps and as the suspension cycles you are getting variable valving because the angle of the shocks changes and on compression the angle gets extreme.

On our kit we use a short shock that is high quality (we prefer king but really any quality coilover will work). It's short so it doesn't have to be mounted at bed height to still get 16" of travel but valved correctly so you still get great performance. We didn't invent this obviously, it's been well proven in the desert for years.

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
do you have anything ready now?? Im ready to buy a kit!!! Im running hpd60/10.25...please lemme know Jack..Chuck