• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Coming soon: New IronBender 4-link kit - Installed Pics on page 4!!

kntr

Bronco Guru
We have beaten the kit for 2 races and a third race this weekend and its holding up. We are going to be testing the sway bars real soon also.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Meeting w/ 2 manufacturers this week. Getting ready to install it on the 2nd test vehicle (408 CID, cross country driving, trailer pulling guy).

Also sent out the sway bar setup to the crazy tuff truck guys today (aka Kanter and Simpson).

Jack

Jack - How did the meetings go with the manufacturers? Any better idea on the costs of the system? Will it be adaptable to a full widths and/or Dana 60s?

Thanks,
Robert

OP
OP
IronBenderII

IronBenderII

Meetings went well. They are coming up w/ pricing for me so I can't say for sure but we're going to try and be very close to the Poly Kit in pricing with our base kit.

It will work w/ full width axles, no problem. Dana 60 kit will be coming but not until we've got the 9" kit finished up.

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
Is the kit ONLY for the coil over conversion or will there be a kit that is set up for those of us with leafs also???

:cool:

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is the kit ONLY for the coil over conversion or will there be a kit that is set up for those of us with leafs also???

:cool:

Can you explain about 4 link with leaf spring? I've heard of semi elliptical leaf spring but not full leaf spring. Edit: I would assume you can use coil spring.

Eugene

Last edited:
OP
OP
IronBenderII

IronBenderII

Update: We've got coilovers on order in preparation for a few more installs and the roll out of the product. We're trying to have them available @ SOB. There should be at least one and maybe 3 rigs running the suspension @ SOB.

This suspension and leafs. If you do mean leafs and not coils, you could run this suspension if you had shackles at both ends of the leaf. Then the leaf springs only job would be to support the weight of the vehicle, not locate the axle. That being said, I don't think you'd want to do that. A coil spring would be a better solution because of it's compact nature.

We do plan on comming out with a version that uses coil springs instead of coilovers. You will be able to upgrade to coilovers at any point. We won't have a hydro bumpstop for the coil application and the swaybar will be different.

We are also working on a Dana 60 version, that will come out after the 9" version, we aren't sure if it will be before or after the coil version.

Jack

OP
OP
IronBenderII

IronBenderII

Hi guys. We just installed the suspension on another test-truck. There are some pics attached.

Information about this truck. It's owned by Gary Smith, one of the guys that chases/pre-runs with us in Mexico. He's had the Bronco for about 35 years and has put 300k miles on it! He drives it all over the country on fishing, hunting and wheeling trips. So that's a lot of diversity, rock crawling, highway driving, baja pre-running and a daily driver.

Gary is running a true-hi9 in the rear, was running leaf springs with some anti-wrap devices on the springs and a STAK transfercase. He also has a very well built 408 stroker under the hood.

Gary had 1 major problem with his Bronco. Spring wrap. He couldn't get into the motor at all for fear of destroying leaf springs, transfer cases and drivelines. He completely destroyed a Dana 20 a couple of years ago @ SOB. A bunch of little pieces. His exhaust, which went over his 3rd member would be his final anti-wrap device, as was evident by the dents in it and the clunking heard when he got on it.

Gary has about 5" of lift and 20" of wheel travel. He went with our air bump kit and our swaybar kit. We'll probably dial the travel down a bit on the full production version.

The pics show the suspension at almost full extention (measured for limiting straps) and about 2/3 articulated (it had A LOT more to go - we were measuring for bump height).

Because he needs some exhaust work done, we haven't been able to fully document the results. Just some blasting in and out of the Wild Horses shop and a little playing in the parking lot across the street. But here are some observations we made with the testing we did...

Something that Gary noted with the articulation, the Bronco was much more stable with this setup. The truck wasn't leaning nearly as far over. When we articulated it with the leaf springs he had to hold it up a bit from wanting to flop over.

Gary said, with the limited amount we were able to do in the parking lot, the truck felt at least as stable, and maybe more so, than it did with the leaf springs.

He was able to nail the throttle and spin the tires freely with zero axle wrap and just a little anti-squat (gave him a little rise, not too much, no squating in the rear).

The springs were a little soft, we've ordered some stiffer springs for the rear (Kanter and Simpson, I'll PM you with the results of the new spring rates).

Anyway, check out the pics. I'll post more later today if I can find my camera cable.

Jack

Attachments

• articulation.JPG
    articulation.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 394
  • droop.jpg
    droop.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 534
OP
OP
IronBenderII

IronBenderII

I think we have a price set but we're still working out all of the kinks in manufacturing and I don't want to commit too early, sorry about the delay!

Also, we'll be giving away one of these suspensions @ SOB. And Gary will be there dropping the hammer for all to see...

Jack

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Jack - I'm still interested in the Dana 60 version. That is one heck of a system.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Anyway, check out the pics. I'll post more later today if I can find my camera cable.

Jack

Jack Looks Sweet!!!
Some more pics would be cool, any other close up of the top coilover mounts, articulation from underneath or straight back would be cool. Do you have a measurment of how much rear steer your getting under articulation?

OP
OP
IronBenderII

IronBenderII

I don't have any underneath pics and the coilover mount pics are minimal but I'll see what I have. Rear-steer is minimal because of the double-triangulated design...

It doesn't look like I'll be able to make SOB this year so good luck on winning the suspension guys!!!

Jack

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
I don't have any underneath pics and the coilover mount pics are minimal but I'll see what I have. Rear-steer is minimal because of the double-triangulated design...

It doesn't look like I'll be able to make SOB this year so good luck on winning the suspension guys!!!

Jack

Jack
Any other pics will work as well. Since your out for SOB lets go hit up pismo;D ;D ;D

kntr

Bronco Guru
There are lots of pics in the first couple pages. What more do you want? I can get more. :):)

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
There are lots of pics in the first couple pages. What more do you want? I can get more. :):)
thanks Kanter
Not sure any pics you have might help. I'm looking for the upper coilover mounts that Jack has designed that get tubbed into the inner fender and how they mount in relation to running a rear seat. Also looking for pictures of articulation and from underneath for possible ways to run and route exhaust keeping a similar 2 into 1 system like what I'm currently using.;)