• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Companion Shaft on rear diff Leaking

Hardpivot

Hey guys,
Recently I pulled my 9" rear diff apart to do a partial rebuild. I didn't touch the locker or the carrier bearings, but I did replace the bearings on the pinion gear. When I pulled the pinion housing off, I noticed there was no seal between the it and the axle housing, just a shim. Now that I've put it back together, Its leaking from that spot and it didn't before. Should I have put rtv between the joint with the shim?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There is an O-ring on the pinion support. Sounds like you didn't replace that when you took it apart and it is now leaking.
No sealer on the pinion shims, that will add to the thickness. And it is the wrong place to do the sealing. The shims should be dry with no sealer.
Pull the pinion support again, replace the O-ring.

OP
OP
Hardpivot

Hardpivot

There is an O-ring on the pinion support. Sounds like you didn't replace that when you took it apart and it is now leaking.
No sealer on the pinion shims, that will add to the thickness. And it is the wrong place to do the sealing. The shims should be dry with no sealer.
Pull the pinion support again, replace the O-ring.
Aw excellent. Thank you very much!