• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Converting 31 spline traction lock to 28 spline

larryejoh

Does anyone know if I can convert a 31 spline 9 inch traction lock from a F150 to 28 spline by swapping the side gears?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I would recomend replacing the axles with 31 spline, that would be a nice upgrade. There are a lot of twisted 28 spline axles in plenty of mild rigs.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You can get pretty much any part for the trac loc from Currie I would also get new thrust washers as well and you may as well put in a new clutch pack while your at it.. I'm sure other places can get the parts as well but I've alway gotten my stuff from Currie.
Its not all that hard to install the parts but you do have to tear the diff completely down to do it. You would probably be better off going to 31 spline shafts as was suggested as you wouldnt need to buy side gears and a clutch hub.. Although My 28 spline shafts have survived 2 trac lock destructions.

bushman

Loc.
Oregon City, OR
This thread is a little old, but you could trade me your 31 spline traction lock for my 28 spline??? Problem solved...