• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Converting to electronic brake booster

36Fan

Contributor
Gotta ask on your race truck. Are you doing much extended low speed stuff?

Reason I ask is with my big radiator on my Torture cooling test that I posted up here yrs ago that compared the Exploder to the Tauras fan, the Tauras when going slow would never kick off high and therefore was drawing high amperage the entire time.

I would think the difference btw moving at speed- even under load forces a lot of air through the radiator compared to those in city traffic or in my case rock crawling or slow speed trail stuff.
I drive the truck on the street in traffic and it rarely uses the high speed. After long sand or silt sections in the desert it will bump to the high speed but not more than a couple minutes or so. I actually need to bump the on/off temps switch up some, I use the BMW sending unit.

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
I ask because I scored this one from an Acura RDX, complete with 1" bore master and the hacked off plugs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230907-090706.png
    Screenshot_20230907-090706.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
OP
OP
fredc

fredc

Loc.
Greenville
its not driving yet( had a few delays work related getting to this project ). I am doing a few upgrades at the same time. Electric Brake booster, Electric Power steering pump ( Volvo ) , power windows, Power mirrors.

Your going to have to change your Master cylinder to a 1 1/8 bore ( thats if you upgraded to Disc brakes ). If its disc in front and drum in the back, the one that came with your Acura find should work, just need to figure out the fluid reservoir

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
its not driving yet( had a few delays work related getting to this project ). I am doing a few upgrades at the same time. Electric Brake booster, Electric Power steering pump ( Volvo ) , power windows, Power mirrors.

Your going to have to change your Master cylinder to a 1 1/8 bore ( thats if you upgraded to Disc brakes ). If its disc in front and drum in the back, the one that came with your Acura find should work, just need to figure out the fluid reservoir
Projects do have a way of snowballing!

I'm also planning on the Volvo pump.

I'm doing discs/drums initially until I settle on my final axles, so that's good news.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
What size tires are you hoping to slow down?

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
What size tires are you hoping to slow down?
Is that at Fred or me? I'm just doing 35s.

The V6 6Gs have electric boosters and guys are running 35-40s with no reported problems stopping that I've seen.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Key is volume of fluid needed not the pressure.

I have no clue what a 6G caliper dia is.

I know I run 3" calipers and a 1.25" dia mc with a proper stroke and pedal ratio & all that is needed to move enough fluid.

Wanting to see ya make all this work.

I'm going electric strg on my Shorty build. Been put on hold but once I get back on it I'll be researching again. :)

Geiri

Loc.
Iceland
Projects do have a way of snowballing!

I'm also planning on the Volvo pump.

I'm doing discs/drums initially until I settle on my final axles, so that's good news.
there are different Volvo pumps which one do you use?
Has someone done this before in an EB?

I am very interested in this.

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
there are different Volvo pumps which one do you use?
Has someone done this before in an EB?

I am very interested in this.
I haven't bought one yet. I'm going to do some junkyard cruising and see what is there.

Geiri

Loc.
Iceland
I am also swapping in a Volvo electronic power steering pump. So electric brake booster, electric fan and electric power steering. Lots of juice so I also had to find a high current alternator. The fan is out of a ford Taurus and seems to use the most amps.
I spoke to Wilwood Techs about their Master cylinder. Gave them the bore size of my rear and front disc brakes and they came back with 1 1/8 bore for the MC. I can't remember why I did not go Wilwood for the MC but Jegs instead. Just finishing up on the wiring and hope to fire it up in the next week or two
Have you already chosen a Volvo pump?

I am curious about which car one should choose from for example the volvo xc90
But they most likely come on the biggest tires from Volvo.

It would also be nice to know where you plan to put the pump in the engine compartment.

This is an Exciting thread here.

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor

It would also be nice to know where you plan to put the pump in the engine compartment.

I've seen 2004 - 2013 Volvo C70 / C30 / S40 / V50 as the donor list. I've also personally seen one in a 2013 Mazda 3 that I had to repair a front end wreck on. But, every single Mazda 3 in the yards around me were in front end wrecks so I'm not sure how well the pumps survive as it mounts down low behind the bumper on the passenger side. I've heard Focuses might have them too.

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor

Part number 553-50422 looks like good one to use. I just bought one off ebay for $75, says it fits a 11-13 Volvo S60. There are controller and wiring kits available for it or you can just run them in limp mode and get 75% output.

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
My Acura unit showed up. Different pattern than my booster bracket, no biggy. Looks like the end of the push rod threads off, should be easy to adapt.

Attachments

• PXL_20230914_225559906.jpg
    PXL_20230914_225559906.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20230914_225550270.jpg
    PXL_20230914_225550270.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 17

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
Part number 553-50422 looks like good one to use. I just bought one off ebay for $75, says it fits a 11-13 Volvo S60. There are controller and wiring kits available for it or you can just run them in limp mode and get 75% output.
Oh this unit also showed up. It's a bit different than the 2004 - 2013 Volvo C70 / C30 / S40 / V50 version but looks like it has the same connectors. It uses a remote reservoir instead of being self contained so depending on your application that could be good or bad. I ordered this controller kit. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2849003967...d=link&campid=5335857059&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

They also have a GPS version that automatically reduces assist at higher speeds. I probably should have gotten that one.