• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cooling Problem

dSpade

Loc.
Fresno
Good Morning, I read the cooling FAQ page. I've already performed all the tips & tricks; smaller pulley on the water pump and we've got everything setup perfect but I still run hot on hot days under load, it's exceeding 220 in normal traffic. That's too high under normal load. I want more of a buffer for when I'm crawling in the hills. I have a 347 stroker, .40 over, '92 gen I fuel injection, professional custom tune from Powertrain Dynamics in Huntington Beach, CA. Ron Davis radiator, Spal fan. Jones Racing serpentine system, Edelbrock high flow pump. The motor is running great but it gets hot and you can notice a drop in power when it heats up. We corrected the hoses and added a second fill point inline on the top hose so we don't have an air bubble problem. I have a recovery tank. We even moved the radiator up a bit so it was centered in the grill opening. Jones has recommended that I remove my T-stat and install a Flow Restrictor but my mechanic says no way. What else can you guys come up with? Cheers.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
What you list, the one that catches me is the Spal fan. While typically some of the best electric fans, they do have a discount line as well. Add in Broncos don't typically enjoy electric cooling fans, very rare to get one to cool. The few that do cool are typically in the very high amp draw range (40-70A to have enough power to pull air through a core)

You state it runs warm in traffic, I take it you mean stop and go traffic? Stuff that needs a fan to more air through the radiator?

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I'm one of the lucky ones. This keeps my W cool here in AR summer heat and some stop and go around town.
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/produ...MIgMSwm-qN8AIV221vBB1s3AfbEAQYASABEgI2_fD_BwE

I run an American Eagle 1 inch tube radiator. 195 T-stat.....I see 210 which is normal and 220 now and then when stopped at a red light and summer heat. My fan is controlled by the ECM. fan goes to high and she cools back down to 210

Tim

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Are you running an auto transmission - if so where is the cooler - do you have AC - do you have a body lift - ?
You could try the skeletonized inner fender panels and/or the vented hood louvers to allow more airflow through the engine compartment.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Are you using a shroud? That can make a huge difference.
I sealed between the radiator and core support to force air through radiator rather than around it.

bam

Contributor
Loc.
Laurel, Ms
im having the same issues, i was told to use water wetter super coolant, has anyone used this stuff

Eoth

Bronco Guru
im having the same issues, i was told to use water wetter super coolant, has anyone used this stuff

I did... Was playing around with the amount of water vs coolant along with water-wetter. I do believe that it did make my coolant system work better. Unfortunately I checked the coolant levels one day and it was all rust brown.. Needless to say I didn't have enough corrosion protection. Thought I was following all the directions related to the proper ratios but something went wrong. That ended my experiment and I went back to 50-50 mix.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I went through this for 20+ years.
What i did that fixed it shouldn't have been required but it is what solved my 20+ year "running hot" issues.

Mine wouldn't boil over......like yours, it just ran too darn hot for the conditions...but not completely overheat.

I did the Explorer Serpentine swap and a Champion 5.0 retro-fit radiator.
Complete transformation regarding running hot but also got a better alternator, a better ps pump (for me), the best cooling fan you can put on a sbf and the wonderful serpentine belt that does not slip/squeal.
It's a big step but it fixed me up.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Good Morning, I read the cooling FAQ page. I've already performed all the tips & tricks; smaller pulley on the water pump and we've got everything setup perfect but I still run hot on hot days under load, it's exceeding 220 in normal traffic. That's too high under normal load. I want more of a buffer for when I'm crawling in the hills. I have a 347 stroker, .40 over, '92 gen I fuel injection, professional custom tune from Powertrain Dynamics in Huntington Beach, CA. Ron Davis radiator, Spal fan. Jones Racing serpentine system, Edelbrock high flow pump. The motor is running great but it gets hot and you can notice a drop in power when it heats up. We corrected the hoses and added a second fill point inline on the top hose so we don't have an air bubble problem. I have a recovery tank. We even moved the radiator up a bit so it was centered in the grill opening. Jones has recommended that I remove my T-stat and install a Flow Restrictor but my mechanic says no way. What else can you guys come up with? Cheers.

Maybe one of the head gaskets is on backwards?
Don't laugh. It happens. If the person assembling the motor likes the "pretty side up" on both gaskets, then one is on backwards.