• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

cooling question

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
mister mud lucky- first all I was doing was suggesting a setup that actually works- for all that yapping about surface area you do not even follow that in your first post pictures as the fans leave lots of open area(GO LOOK)- the black magic fan I have covers almost the whole core area where your fans need some type of shroud to follow your own words- even with your fans installed the correct way to cover the whole surface area those thin little fans pulling only 1200 cfm together will not work- you defend electric fans by bragging about being able to have them still running with the motor off before you overheat makes no sense- I do not drive in 2 feet of snow, but 100 plus puttting around in houston summers is no walk in the park - my setup maxes period at 190 no matter what or where & is usually 180 degrees 24-7 - I had a previous setup that creeped up like your and considered it a failure - once again the explorer serpentine system is the only way to get a electric fan (without cutting )that works in all conditions - I think now we a back on the subject of depth ,thickness, fattness ,girth or whatever you want to call it ------------SKINNY ELECTRIC FANS DO NOT WORK PERIOD

md_lucky_13

Loc.
Idaho
What weighs more, a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers?

Depth of the fan has nothing to do with it's ability to pull CFM... Which was entirely my point. A fan's efficiency is determined by 2 things: CFM rating and surface area.. For what ever reason, you have something against pancake fans.. But the numbers done lie.

You would be right in saying that your ton of bricks might be a more efficient way to reach a ton.. I would be right in saying that in the end, it doesn't matter.. A ton is a ton, and CFM ratings are CFM ratings. Period.

I don't have room for a black-magic fan.. My system works perfect, and I am very happy with it.

In fact, I'm going to Moab TODAY to hammer on it some more.. So, Good Bye for a week, and happy wheeling!

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
matt69 said:
Disclaimer: I am new to this so if I don't use the terminology please excuse me.;D ;D

Okay, I poked a hole in the radiator today and upon further inspection found that many of the fins were smashed down and very fragile. I have had some cooling issues before so I am going to replace the radiator and have some questions.

1. Is the Ron Davis aluminum radiator really worth the extra money or use one of the heavy-duty 3 core radiators?

2. How difficult is it to go away from the regular fan and put on an electric fan?
-Is there any downfall doing this?

3. Should I get an external tranny cooler or one that is built into the radiator? I have a C4.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

matt
Is the Ron Davis aluminum radiator really worth the extra money or use one of the heavy-duty 3 core radiators?

The aluminum radiators are lighter and slightly more effient than brass/copper, but 99% of the people are getting cooled just fine with Brass/copper. Unless you are in the AZ desert I'd probably go with a good 3 row.

2. How difficult is it to go away from the regular fan and put on an electric fan?
-Is there any downfall doing this?

Electric fans pull less air than mechanical fans. Unless you put in a very large oversize radiator you will probably overheat on the trail ( unless it never gets above 70F where you live, then it "might" be ok)

3. Should I get an external tranny cooler or one that is built into the radiator? I have a C4.
Both. The internal cooler isn't enough. If you live in a cold enviroment, then you need the internal one to warm up the tranny so it shifts right in cold weather.
Tom

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Call up Ron Davis radiator, choose extension #5, Talk with there Bronco guy, doug Shultz.

OP
OP
M

matt69

Loc.
Peoria
Broncobowsher, I did not know Doug was in with Ron Davis. I ordered one from Randy at Driven Auto last week.

matt