• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Crate 331 from Coast High Performance - any good or bad experiences?

Splash

I purchased a 90 Mustang for the 5.0 EFI parts/core and am planning to buy a crate 331 from Coast High Performance. Before doing so I decided to reach out for any experiences good or bad people have had with CHP.

I am also open to suggestions on build specs if you have any. I am replacing a stock 302 looking for more power, EFI, etc.

Thanks in advance.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
my first thoughts after looking at their specs is that's a lot of cam. i have less cam than that and i don't have enough low end.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I would recommend just going to a 351. More cubes for less stressed power that will cost less and last longer (then a stressed out smaller engine forced to run harder).

The 5.0 fuel injection will work on the 351 (except the lower manifold).
To run the 331 right will require EFI upgrades to handle the added air volume of aftermarket heads and huge cam, same upgrade needed to the EFI if you hot rod the 351 in the same manor. And a 351 hopped up like a 331 will run circles around the 331.

The 351 was fords answer to stroking the 302. When they realized the 302 isn't a good canidate for simply a longer stroke, then went and beefed the block to take the loads. and the crank and the rods...
The 351 has larger diameter main and rod bearings, main and head bolts went up a size, rod bolts went up 2 sizes, deck height was raised so a longer rod could be used. All stuff of a properly upsized engine that can't be done using a 5.0 block.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
on top of that my 302 gets worse gas mileage than a friend who has a 410 stroker we have very similar rigs.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Have you thought of going with a 351W?
Much better option in my opinion.

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I purchased a 90 Mustang for the 5.0 EFI parts/core and am planning to buy a crate 331 from Coast High Performance. Before doing so I decided to reach out for any experiences good or bad people have had with CHP.

I am also open to suggestions on build specs if you have any. I am replacing a stock 302 looking for more power, EFI, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Agree with the 351 comments...... As per your original post-a good friend had one of the CHP 408 short block deals in his last straight line stang. Topped off with LARGE AFR heads and it was fantastic. That was a fast car and no problems for 1/2 a season. He sold it to a guy who wanted it more than he did and built a rock buggy.
So, personally, no experience, but saw first hand the durability of their products in "severe duty".-launch off the tbrake at 4k, shift at 6k and smile..............
HTH

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
If you are going with a Stroker Crate Motor, your better off with a 347 than a 331. Most guys run a 331 for higher reving like for road racing. The 347 has a longer stoker it will give you more torque.

A 351W is a good choose also

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you are going with a Stroker Crate Motor, your better off with a 347 than a 331. Most guys run a 331 for higher reving like for road racing. The 347 has a longer stoker it will give you more torque.

A 351W is a good choose also

However, the stroke on a 347 can yield problems with piston clearance etc. which can be fixed with proper machining but tends to present a problem over time........ The rpm range on the 331 can be put anywhere you want it with the camshaft and related components. Mine is 1800-4800. The msd box has a 5200 pill in it. Other than showing off heating up the tires, if you haven't gotten up something by 5k you need another line!!!!!!!