• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Crossover Exhaust Routing...

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
Has anyone ever run a crossover exhaust pipe from the driver side to the passenger side by going between the sumps of a dual dump 7 quart oil pan? Looking at it, the differential would hit the corner of the rear sump long before it would crush the exhaust pipe. I have BC Broncos shorty headers and a 2.5" mandrel bent pipe kit. I'm wondering if it would put too much heat back into the engine.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I've had an oil pan that had room to route the crossover just in front of the bellhousing. Covering the inspection cover. The oil pan was notched for it perfectly.

OP
OP
M

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
Seems that would be tight bends for exhaust flow. But I'm no expert.

I can run a 90 degree to point it between the sumps. Then another 90 degree to bring it out the other side. Then a 45 degree to line it up under the frame rail in front of the starter. Then another 45 degree to point it back inside the frame rail behind the starter. And then one more 45 degree to point it straight back to the muffler. Looks like I'll even be able to remove the starter this way without having to undo the exhaust.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Is running a high heat exhaust close to the oil pan a good idea?

OP
OP
M

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
I ran mine like broncobowsher. Between the pan and bell housing. Works great

But since I'm running a 7 quart double sump oil pan there is no room there any more. Anyone see a problem.with running it between the two oil pan sumps?

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I have a 7 quart pan, and they crossed it this way on mine, I haven't flex the suspension but it will be close.

Attachments

• pipes 016.jpg
    pipes 016.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 75
  • pipes 017.jpg
    pipes 017.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 63
  • pipes 013.jpg
    pipes 013.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 73

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I haven't flex the suspension but it will be close.

Attachments

• IMG_2904.jpg
    IMG_2904.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 66

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
I run an oil cooler so it hasnt been an issue yet. But 7 qt's and a cooler i think wouldnt hurt. Especially if you wrap it with heat tape in that area