• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

curious about values between total stock or rest modded rigs

Miker

Bronco Guru
Watchin' Barret and Mecum and a few other velocity channel shows lately and made me curious as to what you guys thought about regarding collectable value between worth of a bone stock non-modded rig versus a modded one.
I know, I know, there's a ton of variables involved but I'm not looking to have this thread dissected down to the granular level.
I'm just curious as to how the Bronco crowd feels in general versus some of the other older vehicles out there that are collector rides as well as street rides with mods.

Is the Ford Bronco a bit different in this regard?

*meant "resto" in thread line ,,,spell check at it again.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
I personal would rather spend the money on a resto mod if it were done right that's where the problem lies with saying that though because price on such vehicles depends on quality of work for both but with the resto mod it comes down to personal tastes. If its got everything you want you might be willing to spend more for it as its what you want but if you want stock it comes down to build quality and if its rare ie stroppe or the like. Only other thing that could make a stocker either more would be year and untouched low mileage barn find. Just my two cents.

clarrance

Bronco Guru
I would say the resto mod is here to stay. Most people want to drive and enjoy their vehicles. I would say that any classic vehicle resto mod versus stock, the resto mod will be worth more, unless the stock vehicle has a unique pedigree. A good example, look at a model "A". Prices of a sock all original is around $15k. Street Rod that same model "A" and the sky is the limit.

All that being said, I still like an all original over a resto mod any day.

BroncoMabry

I agree with Farrell. I really appreciate a well done resto mod for all the obvious reasons. But the issue with a resto mod is they can become dated. If you look at some of the full frame off resto mods done done in the 80's, they are dated. You have to keep updating constantly throughout the years to stay current. Read. (Ton more money spent). You do a frame off original one time & just fix things as they break & you have an investment that will have an increasing value over time. And usually a higher ceiling on value.

That being said, I have a 66 Mustang convertible that I am going the original route, and I am resto modding my '72 Bronco because I enjoy it.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It all depends on who is buying that day, especially at auctions. I very nice untouched, stock, low mileage truck.will probably hold more value over the long run,more than a restored bronco or a restomod, especially as time goes on. But if you have a restomod that has stock colors, mild lift and tires.fuel injected you might appeal to more people that want to drive it

JoePro

At least at these auctions I'd say its the modified/restomods that are bringing a premium but you never know who's gonna be in the audience on any given day and if a bidding war starts sky's the limit. But even with show quality paint, the stockers I see usually don't go above 30-40, like these two that sold in the last year:

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1966-FORD-BRONCO-ROADSTER-161935

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Archive/Event/Item/1970-FORD-BRONCO-SUV-157818

But like you guys said it depends on to what extent the restomods were done, check these examples that brought a pretty penny:

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1973-FORD-BRONCO-CUSTOM-4X4-161842

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Archive/Event/Item/1975-FORD-BRONCO-CUSTOM-SUV-161395

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1971-FORD-BRONCO-CUSTOM-SUV-161577

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Mike I will take a stab at what I think you are asking. I do not believe that the Bronco has reached iconic status like the Chevelle for instance, or a vintage corvette or a vintage mustang. You would be hard pressed I think to find a collector looking for an all bone stock original early Bronco that is looking to pay top dollar out there. There are some exceptions to this like the balloon chaser, a Stroppe etc but still a very limited market, and an all original 77 that is otherwise "plain" is just a good base to modify off of for most. Because of this I think they top out in value as "original". That rare true "barn find" classis that has not been touched may be the exception, but once you take an original and touch up the paint or add a seat cover etc., you move away from that "survivor" status. The money is in a properly done resto-mod that makes it drivable on today's streets compared to today's vehicles. A bone stock bronco does not do great at 65-70 mph on the highway, nor was it ever designed to. There are enough high end builders feeding their families on resto - mods which should tell you where the money is.

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
If it's not a 66-67 U13 / U14 a Stroppe, a Denver or a few others it's worth more as a restomod driver. I would venture to say even a 66 U15 is worth more as a restomod. Even the aforementioned rare Bronco's are not brining in what some of the higher dollar builds like Icon and others are selling for.

doghows72

Bronco Guru
My two cents would be a resto mod uncut. I've seen those go for a bunch. Even resto mod cut ones I think are still fetching more than a stock one.

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
Prices are dropping? The market has reached its peak?

I don't own a bronco, nor do I buy/sell them. I've just been watching the market over the last 1/2 year.

I think the mad rush for Broncos has ended for time being. I've been looking to buy in the past few months (not in a rush) and what I've noticed is that there are a lot of broncos sitting on the market.

There are a number of broncos (local to me) being sold that have only been owned for a year or two. I think there was a big push over the last three to four years to own broncos without really knowing what it's like to actually *own* a bronco. These people are selling off their cars.

In addition, due to the demand, a mad rush to resurrect has put more broncos on the market. I think we're pretty well saturated with broncos atm. There's plenty of $30k+ restored broncos on classiccars & autotrader that have been listed for some time.

I've seen more adds from restoration shops offering to restore vehicles rather than buying & restoring themselves. This means they don't want to take the risk of buying a bronco & restoring it to sell.

I haven't watched the Barrett-Jackson auction, but the Mecum auctions have been selling (or not selling) at lower than I expected. Thursday/Friday are not good auction days, but still. ebay auctions have been selling/not selling at lower prices.

Collectible broncos will maintain or go up in value.

It could be a seasonal dip, or just that the (stock) market is down in general.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I think every thing said about resto mods being worth more is correct but....... stock good quality original broncos are getting harder and harder to find, so I feel the market for the stockers will continue to climb as the market for resto mods will level off.
I have also noticed the price of rust buckets has leveled off, if not dropped a little, I know of three examples on craigslist near me that have been on the market for months and all dropped the price by as much as 50% and still not sold.

patterdale

Bronco Guru
@4-5 yes ago we paid 10,300$ for Elmer (garage) he is almost museum quality and had only 14,980 k miles. There is one on craigslist here in mn near Gully,mn that is listed for 10k and is similar but with lots more miles (which is not difficult). Unfortunately the answer to your question is "what the market will bear". Depends on where you are and what people in that area want. You can't account for people's values in vehicles of any kind. People can drop 10's of k$ on a vehicle and think it is the best things since sliced bread but that doesn't mean it is worth the $ or that anyone will pay sh$$t for it.