• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Curious on vins....

ruger0771

Loc.
Greenwood
I have saw several people asking others on here what they thought of a particular bronco and then someone would respond "what's the VIN number start with" - The person will respond with "U14" or something like this. Can someone explain to me what this means or point me in the direction of a thread about this?

Nightstick

Bronco guy
All EB VIN numbers start with U13, U14, or U15 which determines whether is a Roadster, Half-cab, or Wagon (full top) respectively. The other numbers in the VIN will tell you the build month and engine. There's a VIN plate in the glovebox that will tell you what factory options the rig came with such as paint code, axle ratio, and where it was delivered to from the factory. Hope that helps...

Here's a link to an abbreviations thread we had going a little while back that should help you as well.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I noticed this has it listed as a 1972 decoder list - I have a '66 half cab and I'm trying to find out the specifics on the rear end and such - will this list help for mine as well ??

See the tabs at the bottom . . . ;D

OP
OP
R

ruger0771

Loc.
Greenwood
Wow! I see it now ... Sorry, I'm a little slow sometimes .... I didn't see the "idiot proof tabs" on the bottom ..... I appreciate it... In the process of a build... Getting rid if the 170 inline 6 for a 351 w and swapping the front end for a d44 disk front ..... Thanks !!