• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cutting new openings in dash

leander77

Loc.
Leander, Tx
PO had cut holes in the dash for a stereo installation. It looks like they may have used a 16p nail and a sausage grinder to cut the opening. I need to enlarge the opening for a new stereo. What is the best way to get a clean, precise cut in the dash?

chuckinphx

Loc.
phx
i drilled 16" holes at each corner used dremmel with a few cutoff wheels then smoothed the edges with barrel sander.. most sterios cover at least 1/8 inch around, was going to use big grinder and cut off wheel too many sparks flying..........

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
A grinder would give a clean cut but if you are doing it while the dash is installed the sparks might be an issue. A metal cutting blade on a sawzall would work well too but you would have to be careful not to cut the wires that are behind the dash. You would have to start the holes with a grinder though to get the sawzall blade in there.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
A 3 inch cut off wheel works good. Very precise and nice straight cut.

moffatj2

Loc.
Hartsville, SC
Second the 3" cutoff wheel. Can't beat air power, plus it doesn't vibrate the material your cutting as bad. Used one to cut out rusty floorpans.

tn_dave_73

Loc.
Knoxville
jigsaw, draw lines the size you want the opening.Put blue painters tape up to the edge of the line all the way around so you dont scratch the dash with the saw. drill a hole in all four corners. saw each side starting frome the corners holes. use a small file to smooth the edges. That is how we cut holes to mount stuff in electrical panels. yall must be a lot better than me cause i can't cut anything with a cutoff wheel that looks decent.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I like that jigsaw ideal also .. Because I didn't have muck luck with the grinder and sure didn't because of the viberation with my sawsall.. And I was thinking of the tape to help with no scratches.
...I just blame mine of the PO

HGM

Loc.
Senoia, Ga.
The only problem I had with the jigsaw was the contour of the dash and the fact that all of the 32tpi or greater blade I find are only about 2" long. Its real easy to jump out of the hole and break the blade, not to mention stapping the material. Works really well when you can keep it going though..

AZ69EB

2X what Chuckinphx said.

The PO of my bronco did the same. I cleaned up the mess and added a cheap set of underdash style of gauges to cover up the hole.

I ran it like this for a couple of years before pulling the dash welding up the mess and moving the glove box door.

OP
OP
leander77

leander77

Loc.
Leander, Tx
hole in dash.JPG
Here's what I'm starting with.
I think I'll go with the jig saw with a metal blade. I don't have an air set up :( so the jig saw is prob. the best option.
I'll try to post up after complete.
Thanks to all for the input.

OP
OP
leander77

leander77

Loc.
Leander, Tx
Got the radio in, but scratched up the paint on the dash. Not a problem since I'm going to re-paint anyway. Does anyone know where to find a replacement indicator light setup for the heater fan and defrost? I can't seem to locate one on the various bronco supply shops. You can see from the pic that it's a little banged up. stereo in dash.jpg