• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

D 20 rebuild. Special tools?

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
I just odered a deluxe rebuild kit and heavy duty output assembly from WH along with JB twin sticks. I've been searching rebuild threads trying to get as much info as possible on the rebuild. Some say you need bearing pullers and press and others say heating the bearings and cooling the shafts..... So my question is, what special tools do I HAVE to have for a successfull rebuild? This is my first D 20 rebuild and I want it to go as painlessly as possible without spending a bunch of money on tools that I can get by without. Any opinions or advice is appreciated. Thanks

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Only thing I needed other than the common tools was a bearing puller. Picked up one at Harbor Freight. Made life simpler until the Chinese piece of crap broke. I used a shop press to put it back together after that. Maybe not necessary but does make it easier. If you want to properly set end play/bearing preload you will need an inch/lbs. torque wrench. I picked up a KD brand on Amazon for like 30 bucks I think. Been a while.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Since you bought the rear output shaft as an assembly, that simplifies things a bunch. There's no setup on it. You just bolt it into place. The first Dana 20 I rebuilt, I followed the book, and, since I didn't have a press, I took the shafts to a shop and paid to have the bearings pressed off and on. The next one I did, I used a cheap Harbor Freight 3-jaw puller to get the bearings off, and heated the new ones in a toaster oven to about 300° and they dropped right on. Done that a couple times now. You will need a dial indicator with a magnetic base to set the end play on the front output shaft.\

Edit: Now that I've read the previous posts.... No, you should not need that torque wrench. It's only been the rear output shaft that people have been setting up lately with a preload. But, as I mentioned, since you bought the rear OP shaft as an assembly, that preload has already been set. You will still set the front output shaft to an endplay. The spec on the end play is 0.003-0.005, but I've been setting mine to 0.001, just for the hell of it.

Note: Your "Deluxe" rebuild kit does not come with shims. To properly set the output shaft endplay you will need new shims for the front output shaft.

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
I just did mine and I spent the money for a harbor freight press. It was worth every penny. Especially when you need to set bearings or cups in the case itself and also when you need to adjust the shims on the rear output. I had to remove and repress the bearings 5-6 times before I got it right.

Now granted, i'm an amateur so I had to redo a few things but I used the press more than 20 times during the rebuild. Plus, now I have a press for other projects.

Again, many have said to heat them up or freeze something etc but I don't see putting the entire case in the freeze.

Good luck and ask all the questions you need to as I did as well.

OP
OP
addicted

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Thanks guys. I appreciate the info. I know there is a ton of posts on here about the rebuild process but do any of you know where I can get a book on it? It would be nice to have all the info in one place than getting grease all over my key board =)

OP
OP
addicted

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Also, the deluxe rebuild kit says it comes with a new cluster shaft, thrust washers and shims. 70-Steve, are you saying I'll need additional shims?

OP
OP
addicted

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Cool, thanks! I just got the transfer case out. That was fun. Trying to scoot out from under the bronco with it sitting on my chest. lol. Looks like I'll need to find a adapter to trans gasket too.